DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Spider Baby reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/563344-spider-baby-reviews-discussion-2009-dvdtalk-horror-challenge-day-19-a.html)

Trevor 10-18-09 10:00 AM

Spider Baby reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 19

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.

clckworang 10-19-09 09:09 AM

Re: Spider Baby reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 19

This film is very recommended! I watched it during last year's challenge, and it was one of the standouts for me. I'm not sure if I'm going to get a chance to watch it again this year, but I at least wanted to chime in with some praise for this movie.

Chas Speed 10-19-09 09:35 AM

It's too bad this film wasn't released until many years after it was filmed. It had a strange family kind of vibe that predated The Addams family and The Munsters. It was also the only Jack Hill film that he was not assigned to do and came up with on his own. It still seems like a miracle that this low budget film ever saw the light of day and people still talk about it over 40 years later. I always heard they were going to do a stupid remake of this movie, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

caligulathegod 10-20-09 01:59 AM

This is my alltime favorite film. I had the pleasure to meet Jack Hill, Beverly Washburn, and Sid Haig last year. They all signed my one sheet (which was my holy grail). I'm dying to meet Quinn Redekker. I just love everything about this film. Lon Chaney gives the best performance of his career, full of pathos and love for his fellow characters. That's the overwhelming vibe from this film that makes it seem like the Addams Family. All the characters love each other. Even Uncle Peter comes in and is so genuinely friendly and personable to the family. He has this wonderfully goofy charm and happy-go-lucky attitude that makes him a great character. I can't say enough about the girls. Jill Banner's natural underplaying and Beverly's overplaying work well off each other.
I can't recommend this film enough.

Trevor 10-22-09 10:12 AM

Loved it!

Agree with you caligulathegod in that the family's affection for each other really comes through.

I was blindly selecting the image above for this thread, and it turned out to be perfect, imo. That image will stay in my brain forever, a fascinating combination of beauty and horror.

NoirFan 10-22-09 04:56 PM

The opening credit sequence is one of my all-time favorites. I'll try to watch the film over the weekend, I haven't had a chance to check out the Dark Sky disc yet.

SethDLH 10-22-09 04:59 PM

Great movie. It really could be "the maddest story ever told" haha. I agree with everyone that is saying the tightness of the family really does come through.

takingchase 10-29-09 05:46 PM

While this was my selection, I hadn't even seen it till this a few days ago for the challenge. It was one of those movies that I just kind of knew was going to be fantastic which is why I picked it. Boy did it pay off, I'm glad I've finally gotten a chance to see this movie.

I agree with everyone else, the familys affection for each other comes off perfectly. It was a lot of fun seeing Sid Haig that young. This is definitely one of the standout new viewings for me this challenge and it's a shame more people aren't on here talking about it.

Mondo Kane 10-29-09 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9790332)
The opening credit sequence is one of my all-time favorites.

I love it too. Since buying the DVD, I haven't been able to get through one Halloween night without bumping that entire song/scene.

caligulathegod 10-30-09 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9790332)
The opening credit sequence is one of my all-time favorites. I'll try to watch the film over the weekend, I haven't had a chance to check out the Dark Sky disc yet.

The Dark Sky disc has the original Cannibal Orgy title sequence as an extra, too. I originally thought it was a recreation (as it is identical to the Spider Baby title sequence but with the different title) but I asked Jack Hill about it and he said it was indeed the original footage from before the title change. They found it in the lab or something.

Trevor 11-01-09 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 9805995)
The Dark Sky disc has the original Cannibal Orgy title sequence as an extra, too. I originally thought it was a recreation (as it is identical to the Spider Baby title sequence but with the different title) but I asked Jack Hill about it and he said it was indeed the original footage from before the title change. They found it in the lab or something.

Watched this streaming, but am putting that DVD on my must buy list.

Also imagine that this film will be a yearly October viewing for me.

Love going into a film expecting nothing, and being totally blown away.

Burgundy LaRue 11-02-09 03:26 PM

Watched this one yesterday as a wind-down of sorts. What a fun movie. It's creepy, but has a great sense of humor about itself. I liked how Bruno really tried to do what was right by the children and didn't abandon them in spite of all the trouble they caused him. That tight family bond really drove the movie. Definitely watch the Dark Sky disc if you get the chance. Lots of great features are on it.

The opening sequence is one of the coolest I've ever seen in a movie.

Chas Speed 11-02-09 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue (Post 9811793)
Watched this one yesterday as a wind-down of sorts. What a fun movie. It's creepy, but has a great sense of humor about itself. I liked how Bruno really tried to do what was right by the children and didn't abandon them in spite of all the trouble they caused him. That tight family bond really drove the movie. Definitely watch the Dark Sky disc if you get the chance. Lots of great features are on it.

The opening sequence is one of the coolest I've ever seen in a movie.

Bruno's "solution" on how to end all of their problems was pretty inspired.