DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Death Bed: The Bed That Eats reviews/discussion -2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 12 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/563007-death-bed-bed-eats-reviews-discussion-2009-dvdtalk-horror-challenge-day-12-a.html)

Trevor 10-11-09 05:52 PM

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats reviews/discussion -2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 12

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.

filmsoncon 10-11-09 05:56 PM

Re: Death Bed: The Bed That Eats reviews/discussion -2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Da

Patton would be pleased.

Chas Speed 10-11-09 09:12 PM

Re: Death Bed: The Bed That Eats reviews/discussion -2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Da

I rented this out a few months ago and the weird thing is that you would expect it to be some kind of rotten "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" type film, but it is actually pretty well shot. It's also surreal when you think this movie was shot over many, many years. The whole idea that anybody would spend a large portion of their life making this movie makes the whole film even stranger.

Elpresidentepez 10-11-09 10:00 PM

For those of you unfamiliar, comedian Patton Oswalt has a bit on his album Werewolves and Lollipops about Death Bed; It's how I found out about it. I had Patton Oswalt sign my copy after a show in SF a couple of years ago and he revealed that he had never seen it. It's a pretty terrible film, but the history behind it is pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01l1WIC9mBo

statcat 10-11-09 11:12 PM

It's odd this is being brought up because I only found out about it a few days ago and when I read the title I thought "is this for real?" So I looked it up on youtube and came across a awful cheesy clip- I think that's enough to tell me to stay the hell away from it. With a title like that though, I guess you know what you're in store for.

Meglos 10-12-09 10:39 AM

http://i36.tinypic.com/2mxl7nr.jpg

Dick Laurent 10-12-09 01:09 PM

Patton Oswalt really blows this film out of proportions. He gets the title wrong, and then proceeds to spend the rest of the time talking about it as if it was a big-budget Hollywood venture. He really did not get it at all, if he watched it in the first place. I love the guy, but that routine is just blatant ignorence. But as long as it gets people to spend money on the movie, I'm all for it.

I'm looking forward to watching it again tonight. I enjoy the heck out of it. It can't be taken seriously, but it works well for what it is.

Darkgod 10-12-09 02:24 PM

I honestly thought this was terrible. Why did 90 percent of the people think their lines and not say them. Why did the frothy liquid look like puke? Why did the girl think they where making fun of her when they asked if she had better clothes to wear? This was one of those so bad its good, but it wasn't good it was funnny.

Dick Laurent 10-12-09 05:10 PM

^^^ And the magic of the movie lives on. I think its claim to fame is you just have to tell someone about what you've just seen. Because, though awful, it sure leaves a great first-impression.

And yes, it is pretty funny. Puke, though? I didn't get that. More like Satanic Jello in its demon state, then boiled.

Dick Laurent 10-12-09 06:13 PM

I just wanted to take a moment and remind everyone how this whole "bed" thing started: Last Year's Post Also, those watching it for the first time, we know it's crazy bad, but that's part of the charm.

Chas Speed 10-12-09 09:55 PM

The movie did have one actor in it that went on to have some legit success in William Russ. It is also a movie people still talk about and there aren't a lot of no budget student films that can say that.

Dick Laurent 10-13-09 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chas Speed (Post 9769706)
It is also a movie people still talk about and there aren't a lot of no budget student films that can say that.

Hmmm, Eraserhead comes to mind. But, yes, it is no-budget and still talked about, and not many films are a success that way (not that this one is a success, but is talked about).

The visuals - the score - the crazy story - this movie is definitely unique.

Trevor 10-13-09 02:54 PM

Just watched this. Not quite sure what to say just yet.

LickTheABCs 10-13-09 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9771108)

Don't worry. It has that affect on everybody.

Chas Speed 10-13-09 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs (Post 9771125)
Don't worry. It has that affect on everybody.

I was pretty much speechless after seeing it.

llandros 10-13-09 04:03 PM

I still can't shake some of what I saw from this movie. Bizarre and really bad, to be sure. But I did get a good laugh at the Pepto Bismol bottle!

At least is was short!

Dick Laurent 10-13-09 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9771108)

Originally Posted by Chas Speed (Post 9771174)
I was pretty much speechless after seeing it.

You’ve come to the right place. This is the designated support group. We'll help each other through it.

Originally Posted by llandros (Post 9771338)
At least is was short!

And surprisingly coherent. There's actually a story to follow, and the whole bed thing almost makes sense at the end. Almost...

Numes 10-13-09 07:23 PM

WOW! That certainly was...something.

Let me start off by saying that the story was quite unique and I really did enjoy the plot point with the guy stuck behind the painting for 70 years and the background story about how the bed became "Death Bed" with the demon, the girl, etc...

What can I say about the rest of the movie? They tried...they really tried, but it was really rough for me. I did laugh out loud multiple times, however. Some instances that come to mind:

1. The apple eating sound effect EVERY time the bed ate something.
2. The newspaper articles - "Strange munching sounds heard at night," "Mayor demands action," "Mayor disappears."
2a. The voice of "the Mayor" demanding action... lol.
3. The Pepto Bismol shot.

The acting was so so bad, and most of the scenes in the bed made me laugh more than anything. The scene where the guy with the glasses starts falling into the bed comes to mind.

The intro was good, and I think a commentary would have really served this DVD well, even if just to be a bit silly and tell stories about the making of the movie. The director, from the intro, seemed like someone who could provide a decent commentary.

Edit: I wrote my comments before reading anyone elses, so I'm following up on the death bed juice. I actually thought it "kind of" worked. To me, it reminded me of stomach acid, which I'm guessing is what they were going for. The only part in the "underwater" scene that really worked, though, was the hands of the guy... only to be ruined by surprisingly small fake skeleton hands...haha.

Dick Laurent 10-13-09 08:00 PM

The scene where the girl can't crawl up the stairs cracks me up everytime. It's like a couple times she's just lying there! This also segways to some great SFX moments with the sheets. And when she is dragged across the floor back to the bed - great POV. Come to think of it, that whole segment is probably the best of the movie.

...and then you think to yourself, "The bed is the killer here"

Numes 10-13-09 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent (Post 9771728)
The scene where the girl can't crawl up the stairs cracks me up everytime. It's like a couple times she's just lying there! This also segways to some great SFX moments with the sheets. And when she is dragged across the floor back to the bed - great POV. Come to think of it, that whole segment is probably the best of the movie.

...and then you think to yourself, "The bed is the killer here"

Oh the crawling scene is hilarious. You can totally tell that there was no stopping the director/editor from leaving this as one long scene at all. You could tell the "actress" was trying SO hard to just crawl with her hands, but she just couldn't get up those stairs, it was painful.

Chas Speed 10-14-09 12:08 AM

I never could figure out why over a long period of time all of these different people were going to a bed that seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

clckworang 10-14-09 12:48 AM

I watched this with a couple of friends and we had a blast watching. My friend cracked us up very early on when all the girls were in the car and he asked which one was Alanis and when were they going to start singing Ironic. :lol: And really, that whole scene was VERY much like that music video.

I really expected something much goofier. I was shocked at how serious everyone was obviously taking it, even though the acting could be really awful. They were trying! You could at least see that. The Pepto scene was the only one where it seemed like the movie really understood what it was. Having not watched the intro beforehand, I kept wondering to myself, "What kind of a director takes this type of movie so seriously? What kind of writer could come up with this?" Hard to believe so much time could be spent on this, but it is pretty fascinating to wonder about the creative inspiration for this film. It would have been nice to have a commentary or something a little extra besides the intro.

Dick Laurent 10-15-09 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chas Speed (Post 9772116)
I never could figure out why over a long period of time all of these different people were going to a bed that seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

Hence the magic of the Death Bed. It can even lock and unlock doors by sure will. Of course that happens to be the most confusing aspect of the editing for me. Is the lock locking? No wait, unlocking? No wait...

Dick Laurent 10-15-09 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 9772149)
It would have been nice to have a commentary or something a little extra besides the intro.

This could warrant another release. Can you imagine that? A world with two Death Bed DVDs? Hmmm...

Numes 10-15-09 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chas Speed (Post 9772116)

Actually, I think they explained it in almost every case. The initial couple was going there for just something "exciting." Many of the original deaths occurred after the demon cried on the bed. After that, it was some guy who said it could cure impotence. The final people were there because some lawyer was trying to sell the estate and decided to check it out (with two random girls.)

Of course, the premise is ridiculous, whether they explain it or not, which is part of the....do I dare say appeal?... of the movie. Nope, I think intrigue would be a better word than appeal.