Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Vampyr reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 7

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 11:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

IMDB link for Vampyr - Der Traum des Allan Grey (1932)

Selection made by Trevor, with an assist from Chad.

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.
Old 10-07-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: Vampyr reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 7

I guess I'll kick off the discussion a little bit early because I watched this one a little early. This wasn't my first time watching this movie, and I have to say that while I really respect the film, I don't think I like it as much as I feel like I should (if that makes sense). There's certainly a lot to admire in the film. Dreyer was definitely a master craftsman. The Passion of Joan of Arc is such a gorgeous film (I know, I know, off topic).

But the more I think about this movie, the more I wonder how much of my apathy for it comes from the DVD itself. I still have the old Image DVD for this movie, and it's simply one of the most horrid DVDs I have ever seen in my life. The picture quality is awful, the sound is worse and the subtitles used in this movie are without a doubt the worst that I've ever seen used for a film in any medium. The font is barely readable (sometimes it really isn't), and when it is used for dialogue, the subtitles are contained in a large box that covers part of the picture. Now, I do understand the print was badly damaged and what the ravages of time can do to a film, especially one from this time. I know it's not all Image's fault, but the disc is pretty embarrassing.

I'm going to try to make an effort to seek out either the Criterion or MOC version of this film after the challenge because I just don't think I'm getting anywhere near the impact from this movie that I should be.
Old 10-07-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I respect it, but I wasn't a fan.
Old 10-07-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on watching this one in a bit, having seen it before I'm a fan of it, though to get any deeper into discussion I'll have to wait to watch it tonight. Thinking of watching with the commentary this time.
Old 10-07-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clckworang
But the more I think about this movie, the more I wonder how much of my apathy for it comes from the DVD itself.
That Image disc is an abomination, one of the worst ever produced. Those subtitles! Watching the MoC disc (though the Criterion is basically identical) was really night and day, like viewing the film for the first time. I think you'll appreciate the film much more with a proper version.
Old 10-07-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished watching Vampyr with commentary by Tony Rayns. The commentary track was somewhat informative if not boring for the most part. Rayns did add some interesting facts in there about how Dreyer came in contact with some of the actors and the like and the track did aid in deciphering exactly what Dreyer was doing with his editing techniques and scenes that didn't quite add up.

While I liked the movie the first time I saw it, mainly for its visuals, I appreciate it more now while still enjoying it.
Old 10-07-09, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(I'm posting tonight because my internet access is limited-to-none)

Excellent choice, Trevor. I think this was my most enjoyed movie yet for the challenge. I’m glad I saved it for today.

So, I am absolutely in love with this film. The framing is perfectly crafted and executed. Every moment is art, each scene a tapestry of film eye-candy. And we’re talking real sugar in that candy, none of that high-fructose stuff.

Some quick points of observation:

- The “angel” hotel sign really set the mood, and I knew I was in for something special upon seeing that.
- The lighting was wonderful. Even with the difficulties this film has faced through the years, it is quite evident that great care was taken in the cinema photography.
- Shadow play: This is the best I’ve ever seen. Not gimmicky at all, almost revolutionary, even for today.
- One of my favorite segments was the backwards shoveling. No reason for it, but what a great effect. It added real horror to the film’s setting.
- Bravo for the soundtrack! Absolutely love it.
- Those two estate daughters are beautiful. Maybe the most sensuous of any vampire movie.
- My only complaint is I wished that Criterion had opted for yellow subtitles. The white is sometimes impossible to read.
- Criterion did a great job on the packaging and the DVD itself. Gets my award for best DVD cover ever.

My eyes were glued to the screen the entire time.

Thanks, Trevor.
Old 10-07-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
(I'm posting tonight because my internet access is limited-to-none)

Excellent choice, Trevor. I think this was my most enjoyed movie yet for the challenge. I’m glad I saved it for today.

So, I am absolutely in love with this film. The framing is perfectly crafted and executed. Every moment is art, each scene a tapestry of film eye-candy. And we’re talking real sugar in that candy, none of that high-fructose stuff.

Some quick points of observation:

- The “angel” hotel sign really set the mood, and I knew I was in for something special upon seeing that.
- The lighting was wonderful. Even with the difficulties this film has faced through the years, it is quite evident that great care was taken in the cinema photography.
- Shadow play: This is the best I’ve ever seen. Not gimmicky at all, almost revolutionary, even for today.

- One of my favorite segments was the backwards shoveling. No reason for it, but what a great effect. It added real horror to the film’s setting.
- Bravo for the soundtrack! Absolutely love it.
- Those two estate daughters are beautiful. Maybe the most sensuous of any vampire movie.
- My only complaint is I wished that Criterion had opted for yellow subtitles. The white is sometimes impossible to read.
- Criterion did a great job on the packaging and the DVD itself. Gets my award for best DVD cover ever.

My eyes were glued to the screen the entire time.

Thanks, Trevor.
I bolded the points I couldn't agree with anymore. The grave "un-digger" was fantastic, I also loved the peg-leg shadow by the lake. My only complaint with the Criterion disc is what you mentioned, the subtitles are sometimes tough to read due to them blending in with words on the screen. Yellow would have been a better choice.
Old 10-08-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

"Vampyr" is available for viewing on NetFlix online streaming

(if you have a NetFlix account, that is)
Old 10-08-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonna watch this for the first time in a couple of hours. Thx dhmac for alerting me to the watch instantly.
Old 10-11-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I tried to get this from my library, but was not available... couldn't even get it from another library. But I'm planning to DVR this when it comes on TCM (I believe) later this month.
Old 10-12-09, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Thanks, Trevor.
You're welcome, but most of the thanks goes to Chad. I just wanted to pick something old to counterbalance all the modern choices, and wasn't sure what to pick until Chad seconded this.

Have to admit that this is a film that I'll need to watch once or twice more before really understanding it.

I think I loved it, but was a bit tired when I viewed it for the first time the other night. My silly OCD about the checklist forced me to move onto something else, when I otherwise wanted to immediately hit the play button a second time. Looking forward to fully exploring the supplements and watching it again soon.
Old 10-24-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I have to say that while I really respect the film, I don't think I like it as much as I feel like I should (if that makes sense).
Makes perfect sense to me. I just finished watching it for the first time and feel basically the same way.

That Image DVD you mention appears to be what Netflix has used for their stream. Those subtitles are absolutely awful. If there had been much dialogue in the movie I'd have given up.
Old 10-26-09, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched this a few days ago and it's one of the most beautiful movies I've seen. It doesn't make sense to me as a story yet, but it was my first time watching it, so I'm sure I'll learn more upon multiple viewings. But I think eveyrone should watch it at least once just to take in all the beautiful photography. The scene where Gray sees himself in the coffin was spooky, yet so gorgeous. The entire movie is stunning.
Old 11-01-09, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
Just watched this a few days ago and it's one of the most beautiful movies I've seen. It doesn't make sense to me as a story yet, but it was my first time watching it, so I'm sure I'll learn more upon multiple viewings. But I think eveyrone should watch it at least once just to take in all the beautiful photography. The scene where Gray sees himself in the coffin was spooky, yet so gorgeous. The entire movie is stunning.
Yes, this is the one movie that I watched last month that demands to be re-visited. If it wasn't for the Challenge, I would have watched it again immediately. In a few weeks when I'm in the mood for horror again, I will re-visit this and make more of an effort to understand and fully appreciate it.

Dreyer's film Ordet is perhaps my all-time favorite film, so I anticipate growing to love Vampyr.
Old 08-07-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

So this is quite the bump, but I just saw the criterion version of this on Hulu ... I liked it a lot, but I don't think I understood some of it.

What was the deal with the shadow people dancing at the beginning? And that part near the end in the casket, was that a dream? or a premonition? or what?