DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Nightmare Castle reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/562166-nightmare-castle-reviews-discussion-2009-dvdtalk-horror-challenge-day-2-a.html)

Trevor 09-27-09 06:48 AM

Nightmare Castle reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 2

IMDB link for Nightmare Castle (1965)

Selected by Chad.

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.

edwardnortonfan 10-02-09 05:31 PM

Re: Nightmare Castle reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 2

Did anyone else watch this? I watched it for the first time today and enjoyed it...did anyone else think that Barbara Steele looked weird as a blonde?

smashthesymbols 10-02-09 05:42 PM

I watched it. I should have looked it up online first though. It was on a public domain set I have, so I watched it without realizing it was cut. I was wondering how such a terrible movie actually got a pick for this.

I take it the full version is better?

Paul Mavis 10-02-09 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols (Post 9747749)
I watched it. I should have looked it up online first though. It was on a public domain set I have, so I watched it without realizing it was cut. I was wondering how such a terrible movie actually got a pick for this.

I'm not sure which version you watched, but the one I reviewed for DVDTalk was advertised as uncut - I liked it a lot:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37437...tomba/?___rd=1

smashthesymbols 10-02-09 08:20 PM

You mention a runtime of 104 in your review, which is right according to IMDb. The version I watched had a runtime of 80something. It was chopped up so badly it made the movie completely incoherent. I didn't even know Muriel and Jenny were sisters until I looked up the movie afterwards. It also didn't help that the transfer was so bad that in some scenes the actors were just foggy blobs on screen.

I think I'll try to pick up the version you reviewed so I can see the full movie.

Darkgod 10-02-09 08:47 PM

I didn't care for it as much as I thought I would.

clckworang 10-03-09 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols (Post 9747966)
You mention a runtime of 104 in your review, which is right according to IMDb. The version I watched had a runtime of 80something. It was chopped up so badly it made the movie completely incoherent. I didn't even know Muriel and Jenny were sisters until I looked up the movie afterwards. It also didn't help that the transfer was so bad that in some scenes the actors were just foggy blobs on screen.

I think I'll try to pick up the version you reviewed so I can see the full movie.

We must have got the same version. Your version sounds a lot like the version I got from Netflix. Like you say, the movie was totally incoherent. I'm sure it's much better uncut. There were aspects of the film that I really enjoyed, so I think I would appreciate it much more if I could see the full version.

llandros 10-03-09 04:48 AM

I was kinda on the fence with this one. The beginning was fine, but the middle just started to drag on and on. Once we got to the ending, I was a bit more into it. The dubbing was distracting at first, then just funny. And I agree - Steele as a blonde was bizarre to see. Not sure that I would watch it again any time soon, but I'm glad to have seen it.

MrTerrific 10-03-09 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by llandros (Post 9748400)
I was kinda on the fence with this one. The beginning was fine, but the middle just started to drag on and on.

Definitely agree with that.

When she appears as a ghost at the end, her face reminds me of Mazikeen from the comic series "Lucifer". Which I'm currently reading right now...lol.

I liked the movie, but it does drag on for a while. I'd give it 1 1/2 stars out of 4.

Chad 10-03-09 02:13 PM

I was wondering how such a terrible movie actually got a pick for this.

Hey, fuck you! ;) For what it's worth, I did pick this without having actually seen it first.

Now after seeing this Gothic soap opera, I'll agree on all counts - it does drag on a while, she looks 'unnatural' as a blonde and the dubbing is laughable at times. But I still enjoyed it overall and thinks it's more than worth sticking with it for the final climax. A solid B- for me.

And that Ennio Morricone score is one his best ever, IMO.

NoirFan 10-03-09 03:43 PM

I love these kind of gothic horror films, and Barbara Steele certainly possesses a unique beauty. Inferior to the Bava films of the period, but still enjoyable. On Thursday I watched an awful slasher film, Silent Scream, in which Steele has a minor role. To be avoided.

sandra89 10-04-09 06:06 AM

whats up with all the horror?! :P

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-04-09 06:41 PM

I have a cut version also and thought the same thing. When I heard the uncut version was coming out, I was a little amazed that people were excited.

Trevor 10-05-09 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis (Post 9747800)
I'm not sure which version you watched, but the one I reviewed for DVDTalk was advertised as uncut - I liked it a lot:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37437...tomba/?___rd=1

Great review Paul! Makes me want to seek that version out, as I watched a crappy chopped up public domain copy.

Drake 10-06-09 02:19 PM

I watched this last night and I agree pretty much with what everyones opinion of this film.
I kinda lost interest around half way thru but then the last 30 minutes were great and it left me wanting to see this again maybe I was too tired while watching but then again it seems other people feel the same.

I thought the Interview with Steele was great I wish she stayed and finished Flaming Star !!!, and her description of Elvis was great "He had E.P. on everything his cufflinks ,shoes......

Paul Mavis 10-06-09 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9752878)
Great review Paul! Makes me want to seek that version out, as I watched a crappy chopped up public domain copy.

Thanks, Trevor!