Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Cube reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 1

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Cube reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 1

Old 10-11-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Cube reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 1

Originally Posted by Numes
That was my favorite character in the movie and I really enjoyed the handicaps he had. I thought it added a lot of mystery/personality to his character.
They may have explained it in the movie, but I don't think there's much mystery or creepiness/legitimate villainousness to be had when you look like Snidely Whiplash.
Old 10-16-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I FINALLY got a chance to see the whole thing (in 3 half hour increments unfortunately) and I really liked it. It reminded me a lot of Saw II. I enjoyed it a lot more than Cube 2, which I was able to watch in its entirety right after I finished Cube. The first one seemed more believable (as believable as something like this can be), whereas the sequel had almost a supernatural feel to it. I also think the ending to the second one was pretty stupid. I have Cube Zero reserved at the library. Hopefully, it will come in before the end of the month.

The reoccurring themes of these "everybody trapped together" type movies is that they all eventually turn against each other and maybe two or three finally work together in the end to escape. I guess that's pretty typical of what might actually happen in a situation like this, even if it is a little over dramatized.

When Kazan finally walked into the light in the end, I was expecting to hear a round of gunshots and see him stagger backwards (blood splattering everywhere) and fall back into the cube. I guess some movies do actually have a happy ending.

Last edited by Darth Maher; 10-16-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-16-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Darth, you will be pleasantly surprised with Cube Zero. You are right, Cube 2: Hypercube took on a little bit of a WTF factor. It was interesting, but really lost much of the tone from the original.

And I agree with you ... paranoia can be scarier than any movie-monster.

Where the heck is Haddonfield? I've never heard of it.
Old 10-29-09, 07:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by sb5
For those that are interested in the sequels, Best Buy is having a 2 for $15 Horror DVD sale that both Cube 2 and Cube Zero are a part of.
This sale is still active in store, lots of horror titles in that exclusive packaging.

Went ahead and picked up the two Cube sequels.