Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Deadgirl: Unrated Director's Cut'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read Thomas Spurlin's DVD review of Deadgirl: Unrated Director's Cut at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=38911 and...
I was wondering if anyone knows the differences between the unrated version and the theatrical one. What exactly was put in? Does this one have both versions?

EDIT: I just checked and Blockbuster only has the theatrical version. Crap, I want to see this but don't want to pay $20.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 09-22-09 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Deadgirl: Unrated Director's Cut'

DeputyDave, the runtime is 101 minutes (1:41:31) -- which, according to IMDB, is the same time as the print shown at TIFF. It's the only cut on the disc.
Old 09-22-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
DeputyDave, the runtime is 101 minutes (1:41:31) -- which, according to IMDB, is the same time as the print shown at TIFF. It's the only cut on the disc.
Thanks... that's weird, Amazon is offering two versions (theatrical and unrated), both with a runtime of 101.

Maybe there is only the one version.
Old 09-22-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many possibilities:
Could be alternate versions of scenes, instead of just added/missing stuff.
Or the additional stuff is so short that, due to rounding off, the running times in minutes are still the same.
Or there are added things and cut things offsetting each other.
Or just mistakes on the listings in terms of runtimes (not that unusual for Amazon, to be honest).
Old 09-22-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The reason I want to know is that I want to watch this movie but would vastly prefer the unrated version. I was just in Blockbuster and they had the R rated version at 101 minutes.

Does anyone know of any review that specifically points out the changes? If they are very minor I'll just go ahead and rent it, if there is something significant or worthwhile I'll have to figure something else out. I will not watch the inferior version.
Old 09-23-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
The reason I want to know is that I want to watch this movie but would vastly prefer the unrated version. I was just in Blockbuster and they had the R rated version at 101 minutes.

Does anyone know of any review that specifically points out the changes? If they are very minor I'll just go ahead and rent it, if there is something significant or worthwhile I'll have to figure something else out. I will not watch the inferior version.
Just received a little info, and it looks like co-director Gadi Harel will be updating the Deadgirl blog soon with the differences between cuts.
Old 09-23-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just received a little info, and it looks like co-director Gadi Harel will be updating the Deadgirl blog soon with the differences between cuts.
Thank you, I'll check back.

Now to be fair, the unrated cut is not always the preferred cut (in many cases it's just a gimmick to sell more DVDs) but in the case of a movie like this I suspect some of what the director wanted to show to shock was cut fro ratings.

I’ve been waiting for this for sever al months.
Old 09-23-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the blog:

"In answer to the question: The reason both the Unrated and the R-rated versions of Deadgirl are listed at 101 minutes is that nothing was simply cut out to get the R. Not surprisingly, the MPAA felt a couple of scenes went too far. But instead of just removing the shots in question, we worked to either replace with alternate footage or digitally tweak the the original material. It was important to us that the scenes play out as intended, hopefully without feeling different.

The other difference is the bonus material. I don't believe the R version has the commentary, the fx photo gallery, the deleted scenes, etc"
Old 01-04-10, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bump an old topic -

I just picked up the R-cut at Blockbuster during a store closing ($2.00!) - I already have the Uncut version of the way after a recent price drop ($12.99). Trying to decide which version to keep - the FX gallery/Deleted scenes aren't of much interest, but the commentary and "Making of" (assuming this also didn't make the cut) are.

For anyone whose had a chance to listen to the commentary (or seen/heard of the differences in the movie) - can you shed some light on just how different they are? The $12.99 uncut version isn't much money (I've been waiting on that price drop), but compared to a $2 version, there definitely is a noticeable difference in the cost! I'd like to know if the content/extras are worth the extra cash in this case.

Thanks