Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Transformers: The Complete First Season (25th Anniversary Edition)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Transformers: The Complete First Season (25th Anniversary Edition)'

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of Transformers: The Complete First Season (25th Anniversary Edition) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=37505 and...

Excellent review! Thank you very much.

I do hope someone at DVD talk (doubtful DVDbeaver will do it) will do a comparison of the video/audio quality among the new Shout Region 1 NTSC Transformers DVDs, the UK PAL DVDs, and the out-of-print Rhino Region 1 NTSC DVDs....and I hope a comparison will be done with the new G.I. Joe DVDs to the old out-of-print Rhino ones as well. It will be extremely useful particularly since the out-of-print ones are so expensive. I would have to be sure that the video/audio quality is a huge improvement for me to buy these new versions...
Old 06-08-09, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Transformers: The Complete First Season (25th Anniversary Edi

Thanks for reading, and glad you liked the review. Normally, I might have picked up the Rhino collection for a more thorough comparison, but...yeah, too rich for my blood. The prices will probably come crashing down within a month or two, though...
Old 06-29-09, 11:23 AM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Transformers: The Complete First Season (25th Anniversary Edi

I have watched the first four episodes with my children, and each time I have noticed an audible 'whine' in the audio. It is a high pitch 'eeeeeeee' for lack of a better description.

I didn't see this mentioned in the review, although I suppose it could lumped in with comments regarding the limitation of the source. Did anyone else hear this?
Old 06-29-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hmm, I definitely didn't hear that, and I have pretty sensitive hearing at higher frequencies too. I can hear a muted TV three rooms away.
Old 06-29-09, 01:30 PM

Thanks. Hmmm. I will have to play a couple more DVDs on my Oppo DV-983H then and see if the problem persists. I've recently moved and had my existing equipment reinstalled, so perhaps something is amiss there. I definitely don't hear it playing Blu-ray Discs on my Panasonic DMP-BD55. Weird.
Old 06-29-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Honestly speaking, how well do these hold up to adult eyes? We also have classic cartoons like The Smurfs and Thundercats, which are kinda hit or miss to my adult eyes, and then recently re-watching the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon I thought that was just awful. So which way do these lean?

As info, I have steadfastly avoided the new Bay movies.

thanks
Old 06-30-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Honestly speaking, how well do these hold up to adult eyes? We also have classic cartoons like The Smurfs and Thundercats, which are kinda hit or miss to my adult eyes, and then recently re-watching the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon I thought that was just awful. So which way do these lean?

As info, I have steadfastly avoided the new Bay movies.

thanks
I'll be honest: Season 1 hold up a bit better than most mid-1980s kids' shows. This first season is actually pretty solid, but only die-hard fans will enjoy the entire series. If you're going to give any season of vintage Transformers a shot, make it this one.