Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'S. Darko: A Donnie Darko Tale'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Tyler Foster's DVD review of S. Darko: A Donnie Darko Tale at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=37215 and...This movie made me want to throw a shoe through my TV. It puts my favorite movie to shame. The movie looks like it was pieced together by a 10 year old. I agree with Tyler Foster when he said “fans of the original will be annoyed to see the concepts of the first film get hamfistedly misappropriated by a creative team that doesn't understand them.”
Tyler Foster states,“… it's sadly evident that Atkins and director Chris Fisher's surface understanding of the original is a problem before the opening credits even roll. The Philosophy of Time Travel even re-appears, and if you're playing at home, nobody in this movie should even have awareness, let alone possession of the book based on the original's plot development.” I agree full heartedly. There is no way that Sam would be able to own this book, for Donnie wasn’t alive to retrieve it since he traveled back in time.
Where in the world did the feather come from and why where their glowing blue squares falling from the sky? I noticed that there were no artifacts left from the time travel , as Tyler Foster stated, “Artifacts seem basically ignored or mishandled and the Fourth Dimensional Construct is unclear”. There were one liners stolen from Donnie Darko and poorly used in this film…”burn it to the ground”, “They made me do it” etc. They last creativity as Tyler states “the film's story doesn't go anyplace new”.And what the hell was that rash? How did it relate to anything? It seems a little Supermanish to me. And how did any of the time travel make sense? As Tyler Foster said “I see what they were going for (I suppose later events in the movie wouldn't happen without the first jump), but it only makes partial sense why things ultimately change.”
Lastly, I feel like this movie was a chickflick/so-called-horror…I mean come on…drawing a heart with lipstick on the glass of the bus and kissing it? How is this anything like the original movie? The movie opens with two chicks dressed like hippies stranded on the side of the road and they are rescued by a badass in a firebird…how does this not scream chick flick? Apparently I wasn’t the only one that though this because Tyler Foster also states “Unlike Kelly's film, movie also seems to be directed specifically towards teenage girls, for whatever reason (maybe Fox had some demographic numbers to test?).”I cant tell you how hard it was for me to sit through this movie. Did anyone actually enjoy it?? I’m extremely curious.
Old 05-12-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'S. Darko: A Donnie Darko Tale'

The thing about Artifiacts referred to
Spoiler:
the car getting pulled in the wormhole. Technically, Corey should need an Artifact to travel from the cave back to the car accident, but she doesn't use any, and then the car goes into the wormhole for no reason at all.

I felt the
Spoiler:
rash and meteor storms
were at least mildly intriguing ideas that could have been worked into a successful Darko sequel, but the filmmakers don't even explain their presence, much less accomplish something interesting with them. They're just there.

I'm also amused that
Spoiler:
they nicknamed James Lafferty's character Iraq Jack. If you're not paying close enough attention, you might inadvertently believe his name is meant to be Jack Sparrow.
Old 05-15-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rented the movie, knowing that I would think it was horrible, and I got exactly what I expected. The screenplay was flat-out atrocious, and the direction, at best, ripped off earlier moments in Donnie Darko without taking any of the context into account, and at worst, was completely uninspiring.

EDIT: Another bad sign for those whom are still on the fence: the trailer that makes it's appearance on the Taken DVD is made up entirely of clips from the first movie...

Last edited by MTRodaba2468; 05-15-09 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-16-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Because of the two reviews for this here on DVDTalk, I pulled this turd from my Netflix queue. Thanks for saving me 2 hours.
Old 05-17-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Because of the two reviews for this here on DVDTalk, I pulled this turd from my Netflix queue. Thanks for saving me 2 hours.
Good call Daytripper - I just returned mine to Netflix. What a snoozer.
Old 05-25-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, a snoozer it was. Stay away from this one folks.
Old 05-25-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the review:

"When you see a film like Donnie Darko, you can't help but feel that it stands apart from anything you've ever seen. Intricate layers continue to peel away after multiple viewings, ensuring impressive longevity due to its unique take on some very puzzling unknowns. A rewarding experience even after its mysterious are unraveled, it will forever be heralded as a piece of timeless art, a voice in cinematic history that can never be replicated."

I almost want to see S. Darko now because I already have the polar opposite view of "Donnie".
Old 05-25-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hated Donnie Darko, I'd hate to see what S. Darko can do
Old 06-09-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Huhhh I just got the Blu-ray for review... Should I watch it or just write: "S(uck). Darko is akin to having electrodes clamped to your testicles for 2 hours. And you don't even get that tingling feeling".
Old 06-11-09, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
If you hated Donnie Darko, I'd hate to see what S. Darko can do
the level of disdain could possibly cause a rift in time creating a vortex that a fallen plane engine falls through, killing said "s darko" watcher in order to save the world. that's what a dude in a bunny outfit told me at least.

Last edited by Rubix; 06-11-09 at 02:00 AM.