Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Taken - Unrated/Extended Cut'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Taken - Unrated/Extended Cut at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=37073 and...

Brian, I am a fan of yours. And I do agree with many of your reviews. But I must speak out about this particular one. At best, "Taken" deserves a 3/5 rating. It is not a great film by any stretch. The script is so full of eye rolling cliches and horrible dialogue, I'm surprised the cast could keep a straight face. Still, I could see why it made a fortune and why so many people enjoyed it. But let's not get carried away. This is what they call a "popcorn" film if ever there was one.
Old 04-30-09, 07:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Taken - Unrated/Extended Cut'

I might agree with you if he gave it a collector's series rating or ignored the "lightness" of it. But he described it very well, and his Final Thoughts section is a great summation.

Your comments make it seem like he praised it as high art.

This is one of my all-time favorite popcorn films.
Old 04-30-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I might agree with you if he gave it a collector's series rating or ignored the "lightness" of it. But he described it very well, and his Final Thoughts section is a great summation.

Your comments make it seem like he praised it as high art.

This is one of my all-time favorite popcorn films.
Yes, I know. I'm having a hard time getting over a 4.5/5 rating. I mean, come on! I just feel a rating that high should be reserved for across the board critically acclaimed films, award nominated or winners, etc. I love Jason Statham films. But no way should any be rated more than 3 stars
Old 04-30-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I mean, come on! I just feel a rating that high should be reserved for across the board critically acclaimed films, award nominated or winners, etc.
Star ratings are pretty silly anyway, but I don't think an absolute scale does anyone any good. If Taken isn't trying to be some arthouse masterpiece, why should it be scored the same way as one?
Old 05-02-09, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I guess people will hate my review of it as well, as I agree with Brian and gave it the same 4.5/5.0 rating. It's a pure, unapologetic, old-school style film. No wisecracks, no message of morality, just a man on a mission, who happens to kills or maim everyone who stands in his way.
Old 05-02-09, 06:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I love Jason Statham films. But no way should any be rated more than 3 stars
The worst Liam Neeson movie is at least 2 stars above the best Jason Statham (who I like) movie, so I'm going to bribe ask Brian to change his score to a 5/5.

Old 05-02-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
The worst Liam Neeson movie is at least 2 stars above the best Jason Statham (who I like) movie, so I'm going to bribe ask Brian to change his score to a 5/5.

Ha ha. Good one! Yeah, I love all of Neeson's action films
Old 05-03-09, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know. I'm having a hard time getting over a 4.5/5 rating. I mean, come on! I just feel a rating that high should be reserved for across the board critically acclaimed films, award nominated or winners, etc. I love Jason Statham films. But no way should any be rated more than 3 stars
So...you *love* his movie but can't rate them higher than a three because they aren't universally praised by critics ??
Old 05-04-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JHosk
So...you *love* his movie but can't rate them higher than a three because they aren't universally praised by critics ??
No, and that's not what I said at all. I wouldn't rate them higher because they don't deserve it. Meaning, they're not great films. Just fun.
Old 05-04-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

No, and that's not what I said at all. I wouldn't rate them higher because they don't deserve it. Meaning, they're not great films. Just fun.
I just saw this in the AV Club's mailbag, and even though it's for a different movie, it sums up my thoughts pretty well.

I am writing to complain. I don't usually do this but it makes me so angry and disappointed that I have to say something. I'm pasting the entirety of a post I made in the comments section of the Crank 2 review. I think it should explain my position:

I'm sorry, but sight unseen I can tell you this isn't an A- movie. I have been reading AV Club for my movie reviews EXCLUSIVELY for many years. It's wonderful to have a place to go where you know you will always trust the reviews because after you've seen the movie you find you agree.
But this? This is a slap in the face to everyone who trusts these reviews. We're not all hipsters who read these reviews as an opportunity for "witty" banter in the comments section. I like knowing ahead of time what to expect and whether I should spend my money on the latest dish of crap from Hollywood.
A- from the AV Club means it's one of the best movies you'll ever see. Period. I almost NEVER see an A or A- rating on here and I LIKE IT THAT WAY because there are almost no A or A- movies made. I saw Crank 1 and it was terrible but strangely entertaining. I saw the commercial for this and I'm sure it has the potential to be just as entertaining...but that doesn't make it one of the best movies ever made! I'm sorry but it just doesn't.
Josh Modell, you are devaluing this site. It's sad and it really bothers me. I wouldn't be posting here for everyone to ridicule if it didn't. For shame. :-/
I hope you guys do something about this. I take your reviews very seriously and this is just a slap int he face to loyal readers and to your other reviewers. When Crank 2 can get an A-, what is an A worth? What's a B movie???

Sincerely,
Dan B.
Foster City, CA
Hey Dan,
Thanks for your e-mail (no, really!). I appreciate it, and it asks a lot of questions that we've unsuccessfully tried to answer for readers ever since we started assigning letter grades to reviews. It's an inherently flawed process, and one that we didn't enter into lightly. But let me make a couple of points.

Letter grades are relative, and nowhere on the site (or in our reviewers' minds, I don't think) does an A or A- mean that a movie (or CD or book or videogame) is one of the best ever made. I certainly don't believe that Crank 2 is one of the best movies ever made. But what that A- did signify, and what I think high grades on The A.V. Club generally signify, is success. In my eyes (and in the eyes of Keith Phipps and Scott Tobias, who both enjoyed Crank 2), the movie was successful at what it was trying to be: weird, almost parodic, and over-the-top. Those seemed to be its goals, and it delivered. It was certainly never boring or cliched, and much of the time it was actually pretty incredible. For people who like these types of movies (and I can think of very few analogs for this particular movie), Crank 2 was pretty great. So what grade do you give to a movie that you think is highly entertaining and successful but exists in a genre that's not allowed a high grade?

That gets into what I like to think of as "genre profiling." You haven't seen the movie, and yet you know it's not possible that it deserves an A-. To some degree I agree with you: Action movies (even outliers like this one) are, by definition, incapable of being among the greatest films of all time. And that's fine, but it's a bit unfair to ghettoize them so much that an A (or even a B) grade is off the table. It's like deciding that the fat kid in gym class couldn't possibly do better than a B-, and then grading him accordingly. (What if he's a phenomenal goalie?) All of our writers understand--and I think our readers are sharp enough to understand--that Crank 2 isn't even in the same universe of greatness as The Godfather or (insert your all-time fave here).

It's true that A or A- grades in film are pretty rare at The A.V. Club, and I appreciate that that makes them more trustworthy. What I tell the music writers is that if something is getting an A or A-, it should be one of their personal favorites--top 10, if not higher--of the year. Crank 2 could very well end up one of my favorite movies of 2009. (And no, I'm not some sort of action junkie--my faves of last year were Synecdoche NY, Ballast, Snow Angels, Dear Zachary, and Wendy & Lucy, and I think this year's action hit, Taken, is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It got a C-.)

Perhaps most importantly, though: You're the exact type of reader that we worried about when we instituted letter grades. Even though we do think they're useful, letter grades are absolutely the least important part of a review: There were 400 words before that A- that could have tipped you off that Crank 2 wasn't for you. The letter grade is simply shorthand, and it's a boiling-down of an opinion that, 100% of the time, is more eloquently expressed in the actual review. In other words, letter grades are pretty meaningless--at best, they're a guidepost for further investigation, not the be all-end all of criticism at The A.V. Club. (Or anywhere, I'd hope.)

To claim that this review is "a slap in the face to loyal readers" is both flattering and very, very silly. We trust that our readers understand that reviews are the beginning of a discussion, not the end--and that their opinions are, of course, just as important as ours (or anybody's). It should also be noted that our main reviewers often have wildly different opinions from each other on movies.

Anyway, I'm sorry you were disappointed in the review, and hopefully it won't turn you off The A.V. Club forever. And hopefully this clarified some of our problems with letter grades, too. The easiest thing to do if they bother you that much is to simply pretend they're not there. You still would've read a glowing review of Crank 2 (which I wholeheartedly stand by), but maybe it wouldn't have bothered you quite as much. Or just imagine there was a C- at the end of it!

Best,

Josh Modell
Old 05-04-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I like the reference to gym class in the above. Earning an 'A' grade in gym class (or 5 stars for a genre movie) requires an entirely different type of effort and has a totally different value than an 'A' grade in a composition class.

Should an 'A' in gym actually only be a 'C' because it doesn't denote an intellectual achievement?

Context, baby!
Old 05-05-09, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From The A.V. Club guy:
"Action movies (even outliers like this one) are, by definition, incapable of being among the greatest films of all time."

He pretty much lost me right there -- that's as silly a statement as the reader's response.
Old 05-05-09, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
He pretty much lost me right there -- that's as silly a statement as the reader's response.
I definitely agree with you there.