Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Tell No One' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Tell No One at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=36739 and...

It's disappointing that a lossless soundtrack isn't included. I waited to see what the US disc would have.

Consequently, I ordered the French version from Amazon.fr.

From Blu-ray.com's review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...49&show=review

Video 4.5 of 5

Presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted a 1080p transfer, Guillaume Canet’s Tell No One arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of French distributors EuropaCorp.

This is a solid Blu-ray disc! It was released quite some time ago and it was amongst the first English-friendly, Region-free, titles that caught my attention. It took me awhile to get it from the distributor after I requested it, but the wait was well worth it. Unfortunately, I kept putting it away because there was always a more important title to review. My initial impressions (from almost a year ago) were that Tell No One was well produced and certainly quite pleasing when blown through a digital projector. This being said, a few days ago, I watched the film again and, suffice to say, I still liked what I saw. Contrast, clarity and detail on this 1080p transfer are indeed very pleasing. Furthermore, aside from a bit of edge-enhancement that I noticed popping up here and there, Tell No One looks about as strong as one could expect a contemporary film to look. Finally, I did not detect any disturbing debris, scratches, or stains to report here. (Note: Even though this Blu-ray disc is marketed as Region-B, it is in fact Region-Free. Therefore, you could play it on your PS3 or SA regardless of your geographical location).

Audio 4.5 of 5

There are two audio tracks on this Blu-ray disc: French PCM 5.1 and French DTS-HD HR 5.1. Tell No One boasts an impressive atmospheric soundtrack (with some truly terrific ambient tunes), courtesy of Mathieu Chedid, and the French PCM 5.1 track most definitely allows it to shine as best as possible. The rear channels are definitely not overly active here, but there are some rather neat sound effects that add plenty of flavor to the intriguing narrative. On the other hand, the shooting scenes are crisp yet not overdone; balance is certainly handled well and you won’t have to reach for your remote control to adjust the volume. This being said, the dialog is crystal clear and exceptionally easy to follow. I personally did not detect any disturbing pops, cracks, or hissings to report here. Finally, EuropaCorp. have also provided optional English subtitles (strangely enough, there are no French subtitles on this disc) that appear outside of the image frame.