Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Mannix: The Second Season'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-28-09, 07:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I read Jeffrey Kauffman's DVD review of Mannix: The Second Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=36088 and...

Nice review Jeffrey. Loved this show as a kid and look forward to re-visiting it on DVd someday.

This may be slightly off topic, but I've been "burned" so often by complete series sets that I plan on holding off on buying these seasons for now. I know that if everyone did the same, they would never finish the series or make a complete series set. But I have several years backlog of TV series viewing anyway.

Stopping this personal rant before I get going, but again, nice review. Maybe I'll just rent the seasons for now.
Old 01-28-09, 09:46 AM
JMK
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Mannix: The Second Season'

Thanks, Trevor. Not quite sure what you mean by having been "burned"--do you mean that the entire series ends up not getting released? Or that ultimately a complete series set will be released for less money than the individual seasons? If it's the former, I recommend to anyone interested in seeing the whole series that they pick up these early volumes so that sales are decent. If it's the latter--well, we'll all just have to wait and see.
Old 01-29-09, 11:55 AM

Burned in both regards, and a third area as well. With the complete season sets it more bugs me that they often include extra material not available in the individual season sets. People that supported the series by buying each season and paying more (often much more) deserve to have the option to get all the available bonuses. To date, I've only seen this option offered perhaps twice.

I understand your logic, but I think I'm now to the point where I will only buy complete series sets.
Old 01-29-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Burned in both regards, and a third area as well. With the complete season sets it more bugs me that they often include extra material not available in the individual season sets. People that supported the series by buying each season and paying more (often much more) deserve to have the option to get all the available bonuses. To date, I've only seen this option offered perhaps twice.

I understand your logic, but I think I'm now to the point where I will only buy complete series sets.
Hell, they ought to have a buyback policy ...
Old 01-29-09, 12:55 PM

I know I'm completely off topic here, but can I add one quick thing please?

First example that popped into my head is The Sopranos. If one bought each season as it was released, they would have paid anywhere from $350 to $700. $350 would have been killer sales by the way, iirc it was very hard to find them for $50 or less when released. $60 each would have been a good price, so $420 if you support individual season releases and buy them (at good sales) as they are released. Then, the complete series set comes out, and is quickly on sale for $140.

So if I had waited, I would have saved almost $300 AND received 5 extra discs of material (2 bonus DVDs and 3 music CDs).

Briefly back on topic. Your review has me eager for some Mannix, and I'm on my way to netflix to add it to my queue. Thanks again.