Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Skins - Vol. 1'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Rod Bastanmehr's DVD review of Skins - Vol. 1 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=36026 and wondered if you could confirm something for me.

I read on another forum that the final episode of this volume (the Season 1 finale) is missing the 4-minute segment at the end of the episode where the cast sings "Wild World," presumably because of licensing (either BBC Video couldn't get the license or didn't want to pay for the song). Is this true?

I have the R2 version of this release and can confirm that "Wild World" is present.
Old 01-20-09, 08:27 AM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Skins - Vol. 1'

The Stateside chatter around this British high school dramedy was mostly due to its envelope-pushing take on teen sexuality and drug use. Skins certainly doesn't disappoint on those fronts, least of all in this DVD, where its ill-behaved youngsters swear and smoke just like they did during the show's original run in the U.K. But for those of us raised on American teen soaps -- bitchy morality plays acted out by overdressed twentysomethings -- the real shock of Skins comes from its characters, who are allowed to behave like real teenagers in all their confused, irrational, hopeful glory. We're given characters to care about, not situations to gawk at. While the DVD leaves a lot to be desired, in both extras and transfer, the series itself manages to transcend every other show that thinks it has its fingers on the pulse of teendom. Come for the ridiculousness, stay for the reality. Highly Reccomended

Deja vu:
The Stateside chatter around this British high school dramedy was mostly due to its envelope-pushing take on teen sexuality and drug use. Skins certainly doesn't disappoint on those fronts, least of all in this DVD, where its ill-behaved youngsters swear and smoke just like they did during the show's original run in the U.K. (It was lightly edited for U.S. cable, where two seasons just aired back-to-back; this DVD set contains only season 1.) But for those of us raised on American teen soaps — bitchy morality plays acted out by overdressed twentysomethings — the real shock of Skins comes from its characters, who are allowed to behave like real teenagers in all their confused, irrational, hopeful glory.
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20250552,00.html

Last edited by ASAPadam; 01-20-09 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-20-09, 09:49 AM

I've heard that a great deal of the music has been changed and never made it onto the R2 release either.
Old 01-20-09, 11:31 AM

Yes, most of the music on the R2 version was changed from the UK broadcast version due to the cost of licensing all the songs. From what I've read, the R1 version is identical to the R2 version in terms of the music substitutions, aside from the possible exclusion of the "Wild World" segment.
Old 01-20-09, 01:31 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by ASAPadam
Deja vu:
Thanks for the heads up. This has been addressed.
Old 01-24-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can accomodate R2 discs, you might want to consider ordering this from the UK - the complete series 1 & 2 will cost you less than the R1 Series 1 only release.