DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   DVD Talk Review of The Dark Knight (Blu-ray) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/544892-dvd-talk-review-dark-knight-blu-ray.html)

PopcornTreeCt 12-02-08 02:41 PM

DVD Talk Review of The Dark Knight (Blu-ray)

Only 3 stars for Replay? I've watched my bootleg copy at least 5 times already!

Seriously, why not Collector's Series?

S Galbraith IV 12-02-08 03:08 PM

Because legitmately-purchased discs have been proven to have exactly one-fifth the replay value of bootleg copies.

Adam Tyner 12-02-08 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9106553)
Seriously, why not Collector's Series?

There's a note in the conclusion about that.

PopcornTreeCt 12-02-08 04:32 PM

"Only an occasional misstep (like not fully exploring one character's motivations for turning evil) keep this from being a Collector Series Title."

I respectfully disagree. :)

mzupeman2 12-02-08 08:45 PM

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I won't watch a movie over and over if it's going to kill the overall effect of the film. There's so much tension, especially in certain scenes with the Joker, that are like treats of joygasm when you see them. To keep watching the movie over and over, would take a certain aspect of that way. Certain films can only come out once in a while so they don't lose that feel of perfection you felt the first time you saw them, and I think this is one of those films. A lower replay value doesn't necessarily mean the film is for the worse because of it.

Shannon Nutt 12-03-08 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9106848)
"Only an occasional misstep (like not fully exploring one character's motivations for turning evil) keep this from being a Collector Series Title."

I respectfully disagree. :)

There's no way this deserves a Collector's Series stamp, simply because of the less-than-superb extras Warners has included. The two documentaries have been seen (all year long) on The History Channel, the Gotham Tonight stuff is quite familar to anyone who has Comcast cable (or watched it on the Internet) and even the Gotham Uncovered stuff on Disc 1 isn't Picture In Picture (despite what the DVD Talk review says) - it just breaks away from the movie and returns you to it.

TheMovieman 12-03-08 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 9108503)
There's no way this deserves a Collector's Series stamp, simply because of the less-than-superb extras Warners has included. The two documentaries have been seen (all year long) on The History Channel, the Gotham Tonight stuff is quite familar to anyone who has Comcast cable (or watched it on the Internet) and even the Gotham Uncovered stuff on Disc 1 isn't Picture In Picture (despite what the DVD Talk review says) - it just breaks away from the movie and returns you to it.

Agree 110%. I love the movie and will no doubt watch it several times in the coming years, but the Blu-ray (or DVD) overall is not deserving of the "Collector's Series" status for those extras alone. It's a shame Nolan doesn't seem to be big on special features because this deserves a big documentary a la Iron Man or any of the other Marvel releases...

alric1212192 12-09-08 05:53 AM

As much as I loved this film, and as much as I'm a fan of just about everybody in it, the ending with the sonar-cellphone thing made me cringe. It was a near perfect movie up until then. The ending was a fizzle. That doesn't mean I won't be out there, picking it up by the end of the week. Watching Heath Ledger was sheer pleasure, and I can't remember when I loved a bad guy so much. That ending, though. The movie simply didn't need that.

Mikael79 12-09-08 08:57 AM

I loved the movie, but I never agree with reviewers who say that it's miles ahead of what Burton did with the Batman franchise. I know I'm pretty much alone on that, but that's how I feel.

Superman07 12-09-08 12:48 PM

I don't get it - all of the criticism in the HD thread, and the review states:

This is one spectacular looking Blu-ray, not the least because of the unbelievable sharpness and depth of field of the IMAX sequences. In 1080p, with a VC-1 codec and aspect ratios of both 1.78:1 and 2.40:1 (as discussed above), The Dark Knight is a marvel of detail and rich, glorious black levels. For a film as purposefully dark as this one, colors are amazingly well saturated, with top-notch contrast.
with

The Dark Knight is one of those rare over-hyped films that actually delivers on its promise. Only an occasional misstep (like not fully exploring one character's motivations for turning evil) keep this from being a Collector Series Title. As it stands, The Dark Knight is about as Highly Recommended as they come.
and it only gets "Highly Recommend". I find the lack of detail in discussing the video section disturbing given the comments made by other DVD Talkers. I need more information to make a more informed decision.

JMK 12-09-08 04:45 PM

Well as a wise man once said, "Everyone's a critic," so with a major release like this, you're going to get a wealth of opinions. I personally think it's a fantastic looking BD, as dark as it should be (without being too dark, as some are evidently alleging). My advice is, go to a major retailer and watch it to see what *you* think--I was at both Best Buy and Circuit City as well as a local chain, and all three were playing it in their home electronics sections.

mzupeman2 12-10-08 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 9121889)
I don't get it - all of the criticism in the HD thread, and the review states:

with

and it only gets "Highly Recommend". I find the lack of detail in discussing the video section disturbing given the comments made by other DVD Talkers. I need more information to make a more informed decision.

A lot of people will see things they want to see, and they'll scrutinize every aspect of a picture and their minds play tricks on them.

Overall, this is a VERY VERY good looking Blu-ray disc, worthy in my opinion of four and a half stars. I say four and a half, because although the rest of the film looks pretty damn perfect, there is some edge enhancement from time to time throughout the film.

JMK 12-10-08 11:35 PM

The only time I noticed any edge enhancement was in the opening sequence, on the geomtrical grid of the buildings, and I discovered it played completely differently on my Samsung than on my Sony (the Sony showed it much less), so I decided not to make an issue of it. I think a lot of what various people see and don't like is player-dependent, frankly.

zand210 01-14-09 09:08 PM

Re: DVD Talk Review of The Dark Knight (Blu-ray)

AWESOME MOVIE!
5/5! I loved it :)
cant wait for the next one to come out