Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Hannah Montana: The Complete First Season'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-20-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Hannah Montana: The Complete First Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35459 and...

I have to say I'm disappointed the reviewer didn't mention the BIG problem with this, which is it's produced in "FilmLook". This is when something is shot on video, but the frame rate is manipulated to look more like film. The result looks like absolute crap! I haven't seen the season set reviewed here but I did check out the "One In A Million" disc (free from Redbox) and I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of it.

A lot of concert DVDs are done this way too, including Paul McCartney's "Back In The US". Whoever thinks this process looks good ought to have their eyes gouged out!
Old 11-20-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Hannah Montana: The Complete First Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35459 and...

I have to say I'm disappointed the reviewer didn't mention the BIG problem with this, which is it's produced in "FilmLook". This is when something is shot on video, but the frame rate is manipulated to look more like film. The result looks like absolute crap! I haven't seen the season set reviewed here but I did check out the "One In A Million" disc (free from Redbox) and I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of it.

A lot of concert DVDs are done this way too, including Paul McCartney's "Back In The US". Whoever thinks this process looks good ought to have their eyes gouged out!
Here's what I wrote in the review for the video section:

"The full-screen, 1.33:1 video transfers for Hannah Montana - The Complete First Season are pretty typical of these kinds of cable tween shows. Shot in a relatively inexpensive three-camera video shoot, Hannah Montana - The Complete First Season doesn't look as sharp or as clean as prime-time video-shot series, with occasional hot-spots and a sometimes softer image, but it's certainly serviceable for the kids who are watching (who couldn't care less about the quality of the videography)."

I didn't mention FilmLook because aren't most of The Disney Channel live-action stuff uploaded to that process, anyway? What average kid or parent is even going to know about that process, or indeed, base their buying decision on whether or not it's utilized here ("Wait a minute, honey. It's in FilmLook? Sorry, little Janey -- no Hannah Montana for you.")?

Granted, as I wrote in the review, the picture isn't the greatest (but I didn't have the strong reaction against it that you had, obviously), but seriously -- no one is expecting Star Wars here. Not everything has to be digital perfection. The kids couldn't care less -- they watch this show on cable, in FilmLook, by the millions every day. And they are who this DVD set is for, after all.