Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35433 and...

I have to wonder if the review is positive as just to not upset the distributor. I loved this movie, it was pure fun, but the video quality for this release is the worst of any blu-ray released. the audio track is equally inept. way to have an unbiased review!!!!!
Old 11-19-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by n8boss87
way to have an unbiased review!!!!!
Um, it is unbiased. I'd never heard of the movie beforehand (although it turns out a really good friend of mine has a copy of the DVD and helped me out with the comparison), I've never heard of these particular filmmakers, I've never had any contact with this studio/distributor, and I don't really care if they cut DVD Talk off. I'm just trying to be honest. And...c'mon, I write negative reviews all the time. Do a search.

Did you read the review or just look at the star ratings?

I gave the audio a pretty negative review, I thought.

I do feel like the video quality is pretty good for what it is. I've watched quite a few movies shot this way -- I mean, my father made several horror movies for twenty grand a pop on the same model 16mm camera these guys used -- so I feel like I have a pretty good reference for the way these sorts of things traditionally look. I felt that I made it very clear in my review that this isn't traditional Blu-ray eye candy...again, it's just a lot better than I expected for what it is.

I guess we have different approaches to rating. I try to find a balance between "how does this look/sound compared to everything else on the format?" and "how representative is this of the original material?" If a movie was shot for fifty grand on super-grainy 16mm, it seems kind of silly to me to give it a half-star and rant about how terrible it looks when it's never going to realistically look any better. I also try to note, when possible, how much of an improvement a Blu-ray disc is over the original DVD, and this is an enormous step-up.