DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Happening' (Blu-ray)

Old 10-13-08, 03:54 PM

DVD Talk review of 'The Happening' (Blu-ray)

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of The Happening at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35030 and...

Totally inaccurate and misleading on most points.

1. Dialogue - Tyner is correct, the dialogue is pathetic throughout the whole film. No way to redeem this, even from someone who favors the film.

2. Suicides - They could not possibly be described as "Cartoonish". That would be akin to calling the dinosaurs in the original jurassic park "Cartoonish". Only someone completely and totally desensitized would use that term in this context. From the first stabbing, to the lion scene, to the jeep crash (one of the best moments), it is indeed shocking and very compelling. Given that the entire north east US was committing suicide, this movie could have been MUCH bloodier. Thankfully, it was not, for those of us that do not see excessive gore as "adding to the film."

3. Lack of action throughout. Tyner uses this as a negative, but again, it goes back to the point that this movie could have easily been nothing but footage of suicide from beginning to end, and thus would have been even LESS of a movie.

4. "Worst" M.Night Sham...film. Not a chance. Obviously Lady in the Water is his worst film, followed closely by "Signs". What a joke. Signs was the scariest movie I'd ever seen until the moment the alien showed up on camera. All my tension dropped, i frowned, and i said aloud, "Are you kidding me?" Swing Away, BIATCH!

*If you see this film, do not miss M. Night's messages to the public. The permeating idea that it "must be terrorists....or something" in teh beginning, but slowly changes as everyone realizes thats impossible. The billboard near the housing development that says, "You Deserve This!" is very pointed, as well as the final thought by the media that it was either a) an act of nature or b) a U.S. government action.

Interesting, as in reality, if this situation occurred, it could only be one of those 2 as well.
Old 10-13-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by PMZanetti View Post
Only someone completely and totally desensitized would use that term in this context.
Well, I am pretty desensitized...

Really, though, the guy laying in the path of the lawnmower and the zoo worker feeding himself to the lion in particular looked really artificial and unconvincingly ridiculous to me. Shyamalan describes them as "theatrical" and deliberately over-the-top in the extras, but I didn't have that same reaction. The poor visual quality of those scenes didn't help.

3. Lack of action throughout. Tyner uses this as a negative
It's not lack of action that bothered me -- it was the lack of anything compelling. I wasn't drawn into any of the characters. There wasn't much of a narrative hook other than the suicides. The moments between the deaths just felt as if the movie were twiddling its thumbs.
Old 10-13-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of The Happening at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35030 and...

Totally inaccurate
This makes me chuckle since everything listed below is an opinion, backed up by Tyner's observations.

Now if he'd said that everyone in The Happening wore clown makeup throughout, that would be innacurate. Only Deschannel wears clown makeup.

PS- the South American alien footage in Signs was the best part of that movie.
Old 10-14-08, 02:41 PM

I saw this at the $theater, and glad I only spent a single $. Not a bad film, just nothing special, and certainly nothing to own.
Old 10-15-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still of the opinion that M. Night intentionally made a bad movie. The acting is just so over-the-top bad that there's no way so many actors could give so many bad performances in one movie. They had to be directed to do so.
Old 10-15-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I'm still of the opinion that M. Night intentionally made a bad movie. The acting is just so over-the-top bad that there's no way so many actors could give so many bad performances in one movie. They had to be directed to do so.
Kind of like all of those "tween" shows on Disney. What horrible overly broad acting.
Old 10-15-08, 02:06 PM

I spent $6 to rent this and I want my money back , what a piece of crap this was , Marky Mark's career nosedived playing such a wimpy wuss here
Old 10-15-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

six bucks to rent something?
Old 10-15-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Better question than a $6 rental: how is it the OP has 0 posts? I assume it's a glitch because he used the link from the review to post this, but I thought it was interesting, lol.
Old 10-15-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Better question than a $6 rental: how is it the OP has 0 posts?
Shhh! That's the twist
Old 10-15-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
I assume it's a glitch because he used the link from the review to post this
Mmm-hmm. I'd fix it, but I don't have access to the system at the moment.
Old 10-15-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreeing with Adam on this one. I've begun renting questionable movies before just blind buying the Blu-ray and I'm real glad I saw this on DVD first.
Old 10-15-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh man, my brother bought this, not knowing who the writer/director was. He said that when he saw Shyamalan's name at the beginning he groaned "oh shit!" He went ahead and watched it, and thought it was terrible. This was a $30 B&M buy too.
Old 10-15-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Old Bones View Post
I spent $6 to rent this
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Oh man, my brother bought this, not knowing who the writer/director was. . . . This was a $30 B&M buy too.

High rollers.