DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   DVD Talk review of "Run Fatboy Run" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/540178-dvd-talk-review-run-fatboy-run.html)

Daytripper 09-22-08 09:15 AM

DVD Talk review of "Run Fatboy Run"

Come on Brian, 3.5/5 stars!? That film was garbage.

RichC2 09-22-08 11:09 AM

3.5 does seem high considering other films in that range.

That said, I enjoyed the flick. Cliche and nothing special but an enjoyable way to kill 90 minutes.

Daytripper 09-22-08 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 8954772)
3.5 does seem high considering other films in that range.

That said, I enjoyed the flick. Cliche and nothing special but an enjoyable way to kill 90 minutes.

Cliche is an understatement. This is right up there with dreck like "27 Dresses" and "Made of Honor". Listen, I don't mind rom-coms. I'm a huge fan of "Notting Hill" and "Sliding Doors". But a 3.5/5 star review for "Fatboy" is so wrong on so many levels when Brian gives "Hamlet 2" a 1/5 stars rating. And I'm not a Brian basher.

The O 09-22-08 02:31 PM

This guy here:

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...moore/PEGG.jpg

Well, he's one gifted performer.

Also, I wouldn't describe "Run" as a rom-com. But that's me.

Daytripper 09-22-08 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by The O (Post 8955281)
This guy here:

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...moore/PEGG.jpg

Well, he's one gifted performer.

Also, I wouldn't describe "Run" as a rom-com. But that's me.

Yes, he is (one gifted performer). He's made a lifetime fan out of me after "Spaced", "Shaun" and "Fuzz". But "Run", well, it's not his usual fare. And he does all he can with it. And I'm sorry O, but it most certainly is a rom-com. I don't know how you could call it any else. Or less.

The O 09-22-08 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 8955337)
And I'm sorry O, but it most certainly is a rom-com. I don't know how you could call it any else. Or less.

Fair enough. Please explain how "Run" parallels “Notting Hill” and “Sliding Doors.”

I’m not here to argue the bottomless minutiae of romantic comedy interpretation, but you brought up the two films as examples earlier, and I fail to see how their more loving, witty standards match the low-brow, silly goofs of “Run.”

I do recognize that “Run” is ostensibly boy-loves-girl plotting, but the film, to me, never struck a tone that invited swooning in the traditional manner rom-coms typically celebrate. In fact, the reason I think the film has some merit (and let’s not go crazy here, it’s far from a wonderful picutre) is how it offers the audience a lead character who is a bit of a prick. Not the comedic lothario type, but a guy who made a genuinely hurtful decision in his life. I found that interesting.

Again, the review is not a rave. I just enjoyed it, mostly because of Pegg.

Daytripper 09-22-08 03:22 PM

They were just two romantic comedies that came to mind. Yes, I know "Run" is more brash and (as you put it) low-brow. That's not the problem. It was the writing and direction. First, it just wasn't funny (to me). Second, I didn't believe for a second that Newton and Pegg would have ever been a couple to begin with. Not to mention, there was absolutely no chemistry between the two actors. You could see every cliched scene coming from a mile away. As well as the predictable ending. It didn't help this was directed by David Schwimmer. Who should never step behind another camera again unless it's for a sitcom. In better hands, with better writers, this could have been a wonderful and extremely entertaining film.

pjflyer 09-23-08 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 8955023)
Cliche is an understatement. This is right up there with dreck like "27 Dresses" and "Made of Honor". Listen, I don't mind rom-coms. I'm a huge fan of "Notting Hill" and "Sliding Doors". But a 3.5/5 star review for "Fatboy" is so wrong on so many levels when Brian gives "Hamlet 2" a 1/5 stars rating. And I'm not a Brian basher.

I think "Notting Hill" is a piece of crap, but I probably won't start a thread to call you on your opinion.

Daytripper 09-23-08 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by pjflyer (Post 8958267)
I think "Notting Hill" is a piece of crap, but I probably won't start a thread to call you on your opinion.

Gee, I'm sorry. I thought that's what this place was for? You know, to discuss and make comments. I saw so many other posts about other DVDTalk reviews, guess I got confused. Whatever was I thinking!?

Edit: Just want to point out, it clearly states at the bottom of every DVDTalk review:

Agree? Disagree? You can post your thoughts about this review on the DVD Talk forums. So there.

And Brian, anyone who gives "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" a 4.5/5 rating is o.k. with me! :)