DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.
View Poll Results: Is it worth buying all over again?
Yes, the new transfer is worth buying this again.
75.00%
No, don't like the new transfer.
3.57%
Rent it and watch it once, but don't rebuy it.
3.57%
Save your money and hope for THE COMPLETE NOVEL.
17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

The Godfather - The Coppola Restoration

Old 09-21-08, 06:29 PM
Banned

The Godfather - The Coppola Restoration

I'm sure I'm like many out there who are waiting to see reviews from the paying custmer than take the word of some online reviewer who gets his copy free. On if to rebuy this boxset again and spend over $40 on some movie set you already own.
For those of you who have bought it please give your thoughts on the new dvd set. Not blue-ray since that would be the first release anyway.
Old 09-21-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I didn't vote since obviously I haven't seen the restoration yet, and I plan on picking it up on blu anyhow. But, the DVD boxed set has been around a while. I didn't purchase any of the 'remasters', and this is how Coppola wants them presented so, I'm down. The comparison pics really show the strengths of the new transfers, as well as some of the weaknesses but overall, it looks promising thus far.
Old 09-21-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was really hoping "evil liberal conspiracy" would be one of the poll choices.
Old 09-22-08, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The original mono soundtrack alone is worth upgrading imo.

I haven't received mine yet (pre-ordering from Amazon) but based on preliminary review, the buzz about the picture transfer quality has been very good.
Old 09-22-08, 11:06 AM

My concern still revolves around their choice to push Godfather II onto one disc instead of 2 as the previous release. I wanna know how that looks.
Old 09-22-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the DVDTalk review:
"Even with The Godfather Part II now being only one DVD instead of two, the restoration team has avoided any compression issues, and you'd be hard pressed to find any problems with the resolution."
Old 09-22-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to pass. The new transfer looks good from reviews I've seen but that isn't enough to justify getting the new set for movies that I think are amazing in every right but I do not watch too often.

Maybe I'll pick up the Blu if I can get it for under $40 someday in the distant future.
Old 09-22-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Me too. I'm fine with my current DVD versions. I'll probably pick them up eventually on Blu-ray.
Old 09-22-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
Me too. I'm fine with my current DVD versions. I'll probably pick them up eventually on Blu-ray.
This is probably what I will be doing as well... the DVDs i have are fine for now.
Old 09-22-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
Same here. I'll eventually upgrade once I go Blu. Until then, DVD is just fine for me.
Old 09-22-08, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer View Post
From the DVDTalk review:
"Even with The Godfather Part II now being only one DVD instead of two, the restoration team has avoided any compression issues, and you'd be hard pressed to find any problems with the resolution."
Cool. I didn't even realize that a review was posted yesterday! Thanks!
Old 09-22-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll definitely get the set, but not right away.
Old 09-22-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely buying it. New transfer looks to be a great update and the Blu-ray version was under $60 for me on Amazon.
Old 09-22-08, 04:54 PM

Picking this up, but I have to say, Paramount should have a rebate for this for people that already own the original collection.
Old 09-22-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely, because other studios give out rebates all the time for their double-dips. It's only been seven years, the nerve.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 09-22-08 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-22-08, 06:37 PM
Banned

The ads I've seen on t.v. just looks like the color has been pumped up.
Old 09-23-08, 12:20 AM
JMK
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rmick View Post
Picking this up, but I have to say, Paramount should have a rebate for this for people that already own the original collection.
The Blu-Ray at least has a $10 rebate for previous buyers.
Old 09-23-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This has to be one of the most one-sided polls ever.
Old 09-23-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Think I'll just stay with what I got and maybe get the Blu-Ray versions if I ever get a player.
Old 09-23-08, 05:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
This has to be one of the most one-sided polls ever.
well, it's no abe55 thread!
Old 09-24-08, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll stick with the current DVD's till I upgrade to Blu. No reason to buy the set now only to re-buy it in Blu in a couple years.

I got to see this restoration of parts 1 and 2 at the Cinerama dome in Hollywood and no home theater (and certainly not one I could afford) will come close to touching that experience.
Old 09-24-08, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
I'm sure I'm like many out there who are waiting to see reviews from the paying custmer than take the word of some online reviewer who gets his copy free.
Explain to me what is so easy to dismiss about the informed opinion of someone reviewing picture quality for your - and everyone else's here - benefit?
Old 09-24-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
Explain to me what is so easy to dismiss about the informed opinion of someone reviewing picture quality for your - and everyone else's here - benefit?
While I don't explicitly agree with his statement, I can see where someone might not be as critical if it weren't their money being spent. There's also the reviewers that are in studio's backpockets (no I don't have names, but I'm sure it happens.)

I do know there are reviewers out there that make it their life's goal to find every little flaw in a transfer and detail with screencaps, bitrate graphs, etc, those might serve the OP's purpose better.

And sometimes it's just good to get the opinion of someone who is not either type of reviewer, but is simply a fellow consumer that wants the most for their money.

There's also the fact that when the first DVD set was released, the transfers were touted as the greatest thing ever...until some folks started getting their retail copies and noticing that it wasn't actually the greatest thing ever, and when they tried to point it out they were ignored or banned (not this forum, that I can recall anyways).
Old 09-24-08, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
I use what happened years ago on HTF when the 1st set of THE GODFATHER came out and that site's reviewer gave it rave reviews while others and myself we pointed out the flaws. So I trust the posters comments and not the website hack who wants to continue to get his free dvds from the studio.
Old 09-24-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
I use what happened years ago on HTF when the 1st set of THE GODFATHER came out and that site's reviewer gave it rave reviews while others and myself we pointed out the flaws. So I trust the posters comments and not the website hack who wants to continue to get his free dvds from the studio.
That may be for other websites, I don't know.

But for clarity, we the reviewers here at DVDTalk don't get our DVDs directly from the studios. We get them from DVDTalk. What we write, positive or negative, has absolutely no bearing on what titles we get in the future. If that were the case, none of us would get a single title after our first negative review of a big studio release. We have no contact with the studios whatsoever, as far as getting DVDs is concerned. And nobody at DVDTalk or anywhere else tells us what to write.

Nobody.

Ever.

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I can see where someone might not be as critical if it weren't their money being spent. There's also the reviewers that are in studio's backpockets (no I don't have names, but I'm sure it happens.)
Please name names. Because I'd like to hop on that gravy train, particularly if cash is involved.

Last edited by Paul Mavis; 09-25-08 at 07:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.