DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden?'

Old 09-11-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DVD Talk review of 'Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden?'

I read Rod Bastanmehr's DVD review of Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden? at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34615 and...

I always wonder why people who have such clear disdain for a given actor or director always seem to review that person's work. This review is less about the film than it is about Morgan Spurlock. No, the film doesn't really break any new ground, but it does provide a point of departure for those not well versed in the true history behind these conflicts. I thought it was entertaining. Maybe you're of the opinion that this should not be the goal of a documentary, but oh well, its a brave new world...
Old 09-12-08, 04:45 AM

I have no heavy qualms about Morgan Spurlock; if you peep my review of 30 Days, I recommend it regardless of the problems that it's plagued with. But Spurlock is clearly at his best when he removes himself from his projects. Super Size Me required his presence, but "Where In The World..." is unnecessarily focused on Spurlock, and does so by sacrificing any real focus anywhere else. What's his argument? What's his point? What is this documentary hoping to unearth? A documentary, more than ANY other genre, requires an absolute purpose and argument. It cannot be engaging otherwise. And Spurlock offered nothing in the way of clarification, nothing in the way of new facts - he filmed the equivalent of an ego-centric wikipedia article. How do you approach reviewing a film whose sole character is both writer, director, and star, and NOT stumble upon analyzing his effect on the given project? You said it yourself: the film breaks no new ground. The role of a documentary should not be to reiterate facts that have already been stated thousands of times, while positioning yourself as daring and original. I didn't find it interesting. I didn't find it entertaining. And yes, I am of that opinion- that is the nature of a review, no?

Last edited by rbastanmehr; 09-12-08 at 04:49 AM.