DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   DVD Talk review of 'Snow Angels' (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/539208-dvd-talk-review-snow-angels.html)

OldBoy 09-07-08 06:52 PM

DVD Talk review of 'Snow Angels'

I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of Snow Angels at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34555 and...I was looking forward to seeing this after a review by Roeper and Phillips on their now defunct show. Jamie's review seems to cement it as a must-see drama in a week or two.

Looking forward to it.

But, how come in the review picture and the Amazon picture, it shows 2-discs? Probably just a glitch given there are 0 extras to be had which is really disappointing.

jamieoni 09-07-08 08:19 PM

Thanks, Scott.

I wondered about the double-disc image, too, but from what I can tell, there is no other release but the one I received for review.

OldBoy 09-18-08 12:40 PM

Whoa! Jamie. I just saw this last night and simply amazing! Took my heart and breath away. Such unbelievably real dialogue. Even the cover art says "bone real" which describes it to a tee. Heart wrenching and totally unexpected. I thought I knew where this was going, but right at that half-way or so mark it takes such a different turn.

What incredible performances, especially by Sam Rockwell. I am just in awe. I couldn't take my eyes off it and didn't look at the clock once.

It grips you from the first moment with it's voice and gritty realism and then takes such a turn that you are just watching completely captivated by the performances by everyone: Michael Angarano, Amy Sedaris, Nicky Katt, Olivia Thirlby...

The parellel stories with Michael and Olivia's characters finding young love and the tragedy unfolding with Kate and Sam's characters were so compelling.

My only hang up and it is minor, is i think Kate Beckinsale was just too gorgeous for this role. Even though she delievered in spades in acting, i just didn't buy her as a small-town single mom working in a Chinese restaurant. though they didn't give her any make-up and tried their best, her natural beauty took me out just a bit.

Overall, this is a must see people!! Rent it as there are no extras to speak of which is a crying shame. Hopefully, someone will come to their senses and give us a nice extra laden release with at least a David Gordon Green and cast commentary as i would love to know their process and what they were thinking and how or if it took a toll on them emotionally.

there was also this one scene where Griffin Dunne's character was walking with his son Michael Angarano and the camera is following them and they keep talking as the camera moves past them...it was just such a great shot i thought and would love to know why that was put there.

see this now! nuf said.

jamieoni 09-18-08 01:53 PM

Thanks, Scott.

I remember that shot you were talking about with Griffin Dunne. I think maybe it suggest that life is continuing to move without them, or maybe the father is being left behind...? Or maybe it just looked cool so he kept it. I dunno. Whatever the intention, it's a gorgeous moment that gives one pause while watching the movie.

riotinmyskull 09-18-08 02:01 PM

further proof that david gordon green is one of the best working directors we have. if you liked this then be sure to check out ALL THE REAL GIRLS (directed by green) and SHOTGUN STORIES (produced by green)

jamieoni 09-18-08 02:05 PM

Thanks for the tip on SHOTGUN STORIES, I'm not familiar. I love all of Green's direcorial efforts, so I'd trust his taste as a producer.

bdots48 09-19-08 08:01 AM

Don't forget Undertow another Green film on dvd(available at some Big Lots for $3) Undertow has excellent extras including a director commentary.

jamieoni 09-19-08 12:16 PM

I'll never forget being in the theatre for UNDERTOW and hearing the audience react to Jamie Bell stepping on that nail. We don't get honest shrieks from moviegoers enough anymore.

OldBoy 09-19-08 12:18 PM

i actually didn't like "Undertow".