DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Get Smart - Season 1'

Old 09-07-08, 11:02 AM

DVD Talk review of 'Get Smart - Season 1'

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of Get Smart - Season 1 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34540 and...

Totally disagree
Old 09-07-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by theflyingdutch View Post
Totally disagree
What's the point of a response like this? If you disagree, say why. Otherwise, it's just a set of two meaningless words. This is a discussion forum, and "totally disagree" fails to qualify as "discussion".
Old 09-07-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I also disagree. I can't speak about the lack of extras because I DID order the Time Life boxed set. I agree with some of the things that were said about the same jokes being used time and time again but, I disagree about its effect. At least for me. I can understand how it may wear thin on some people.

If you were to take any actor from today, and make him do 'Get Smart' from scratch week after week in a sitcom, maybe the jokes would get stale. Personally, I don't think anybody could ever touch what Don Adams did. Don's delivery was incredibly spot on and even with the same delivery, the expressions on his face were classic. Added humor comes from seeing different Kaos agent after different Kaos agent, want to pull their own hair out. They see victory but Maxwell's mouth takes their eye off the prize through temporary insanity. It never fails.

The cheap look of the show, was for more than one reason. One, was with the budget it was given, I'm sure. It was a spy-spoof sitcom, not a spy movie. So based on that, many sets were designed to be simple, and to even look corny and overlit in Kaos lairs with reds and greens, like a comic book, or an episode of Star Trek even. It added to the charm of the show even more, because it was a parody of spy films. I'm not exactly sure how Get Smart never understood the material it was spoofing, because to me, it seemed to play off of that old stuff very well. Just because its visual styling was different doesn't mean it didn't 'get it'.

This is all of course, my own personal opinion. I completely respect the opinion of the reviewer and I can see for the most part where they're coming from.

Last edited by mzupeman2; 09-07-08 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-07-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another DVD Talk review spoke more favorably of the show: Link
Old 09-07-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, different reviewers, different opinions. As I said, I can definitely see where this reviewers arguments were coming from
Old 09-08-08, 01:41 AM

I think a classic show which has won Outstanding Comedy Series twice along with several other Emmy Awards is a little bit higher than Rent It, especially the early seasons when Buck Henry was still writing.
Old 09-13-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=mzupeman2;8923351]
The cheap look of the show, was for more than one reason. One, was with the budget it was given, I'm sure. It was a spy-spoof sitcom, not a spy movie. So based on that, many sets were designed to be simple, and to even look corny and overlit in Kaos lairs with reds and greens, like a comic book, or an episode of Star Trek even. It added to the charm of the show even more, because it was a parody of spy films. I'm not exactly sure how Get Smart never understood the material it was spoofing, because to me, it seemed to play off of that old stuff very well. Just because its visual styling was different doesn't mean it didn't 'get it'.
/QUOTE]

Well don't forget also that this show was made back in the 1960's. So the sets would look a bit primitave. But who cares, it's a great show espescially the first few seasons. I think it tailed off a bit in the last year though. But the first few seasons are worth it to buy.
Old 10-19-08, 08:45 PM
Political Exile

I just bought this and watched all 30 episodes. This is my favorite live action sitcom of all time, and I really enjoyed this. It hit my nostalgia nerves real hard.

I paid $17 to get this from amazon. I feel sorry for the young people of today who are paying $23 for the horrible new movie of the same name who've never seen the TV series and have no idea what they're missing.

I really like the packaging in that it gives the space efficiency of overlapping discs without making the discs scrape each other and without requiring you to lift one disc to get to another. Whoever designed it is a genius.