DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Love Guru'

Old 09-06-08, 12:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DVD Talk review of 'The Love Guru'

I read Michael Zupan's DVD review of The Love Guru at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34563 and...

I can't understand why the extras where only given 2 stars. The review actually states that the only thing missing is the commentary. Is a commentary worth 3 stars?

I've always assumed the extras section was as much about the amount of extras, or how complete it was, instead of the pure quality of those extras.

Frankly, from what I read, it's worth more than 2 stars.
Old 09-06-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by poster mayhem View Post
I've always assumed the extras section was as much about the amount of extras, or how complete it was, instead of the pure quality of those extras.
I think I'd want it to cover all of those, personally.
Old 09-06-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I gave the extras two stars because they were mostly filler material, as I see them.

The entire film was silly joke after silly joke and it was to the point where it felt like it was just overkill. They were all hit or miss. When all the jokes didn't work in the film, the 11 deleted and extended scenes didn't really seem to make much of a difference. They were just as funny as the stuff in the film, so why were they cut? Especially when the movie was so hit or miss as the jokes themselves.

The featurettes weren't too informative. There's some cast interviews, a little behind the scenes kinda stuff, but nothing that was really interesting. Blooper and outtakes, more filler material.

My personal opinion, is that extras shouldn't be all about seeing how much you can say you have on the outside of the case. '11 Deleted and Extended Scenes, blooper, 3 featurettes, outtakes and more'! Sounds nice until you actually sit down and watch them. Let's remember there's also NO commentary for the film, which makes this the second film in a row I reviewed that's missing this basic, basic feature. And of course, the coaster disc/digital copy.

It wasn't all that great to me.

Extras deserve to be rated on their content. As I said right in my review, I don't like the mindset of 'quantity over quality', and the disc was created with the same mindset the film was, 'quantity over quality'. I wouldn't give a film a higher rating just because it's longer, you know?

Last edited by mzupeman2; 09-06-08 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-06-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by poster mayhem View Post
I can't understand why the extras where only given 2 stars.
I can't understand how the movie was given 2 stars. It's abysmal.
Old 09-06-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well it's two out of five. The movie had its moments and I found myself entertained here and there. That's where the two stars come in. I wouldn't have recommended it for a rental otherwise, heh.

I've sat through movies that made me want to kill myself, and then I look at the time I'm into the movie, and realize I'm not even halfway there yet. The Love Guru didn't make me feel that way. It was watchable. It had the goods in some parts, and in many it didn't. Breaking down the star system, two stars is a 40/100. I think that's fair.

Let's just all hope that when Mike Myers decides to go ahead with the next Austin Powers movie (which I heard is happening and is rumored to focus on Dr Evil?), that he gives the character the script it deserves. The Austin Powers trilogy on Blu-Ray will be a welcome addition to watch on my home theater in December after seeing this.
Old 09-09-08, 05:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by sbolish
Target has the DVD of "The Love Guru" for $16.99

Attached is a mail in rebate for $10 back when you purchase them movie between 09/16/08 and 09/23/08.
From SD.

Studio must be desperate
Old 09-09-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Studio executives are morons.

'Oh gowrsh! This was just terrible! It didn't make any money! How in the world did THAT happen?! Well, I'm a big fat business executive, better blame the talent or the people involved or the people who pitched the idea, or shrug my shoulders and count it as a loss'.

When they should see a bad idea from the get go, especially when THEY can see the script and we can't, and just STOP making the bad film! I hate Hollywood.
Old 09-10-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 View Post
Studio executives are morons.

'Oh gowrsh! This was just terrible! It didn't make any money! How in the world did THAT happen?! Well, I'm a big fat business executive, better blame the talent or the people involved or the people who pitched the idea, or shrug my shoulders and count it as a loss'.

When they should see a bad idea from the get go, especially when THEY can see the script and we can't, and just STOP making the bad film! I hate Hollywood.

I agree - we're getting off topic here, but I just read an article in an industry mag where the studios think that the reason some of these summer films didn't make money was because there as a "glut of titles" being released, and just too many for audiences to pick and choose from.

They just don't seem to "get it" that in most cases (granted, there are exceptions) when a movie doesn't find an audience it's primarily due to the fact that's it's not a good movie.