Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Cool Hand Luke - Deluxe Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 04:32 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Cool Hand Luke - Deluxe Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34512 and...I don't care for Cool Hand Luke and wish it deserved your finely crafted comments. Frank Pierson is another matter...His mother, Louise Randall Pierson wrote the screenplay and source material for Roughly Speaking, in which she was played by Rosalind Russell, Frank as a teenager by Robert Arthur. Jack Carson played his father, Harold, in one of the truly great forgotten underappreciated performances. As for Luke, it represents sixties psuedo establishment bashing at its most masochistic.

In any case, keep up the good work.

Barry Lane
Old 09-03-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, Barry, as always, for the kind words!

As an "establisment" kind of guy (I always liked the Romans better in those sands-and-sandals epics, too -- better diction and cleaner togas), I can see what you're saying, and understanding Newman's and Rosenberg's politics, it's not hard to make that call.

I think Luke does go, though, a couple steps beyond that "get the Man" call-to-arms with its deliberate myth-making, existential, cosmic, religious hyperbole. Ultimately, I think it's closer to fable than political discourse.....

but, who knows?

I haven't seen the film you mention, but I think Carson is indeed underappreciated (he's the equal of Garland and Mason in A Star is Born, and he's terrific in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof). I'll try and track it down!

Paul
Old 10-14-08, 06:16 PM

To Mr. Paul Mavis.

I especially liked your analogy of Boss Godfrey being satan because "the devil is said in the bible to have no eyes" and that "In the bible, Satan uses a serpent as a walking stick." Could you name the specific verses? I wish to use this in my school's newspaper, but I couldn't find it anywhere.