DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/538582-next-avengers-heroes-tomorrow-dvd.html)

toddly6666 08-27-08 11:58 PM

Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow DVD

I got the DVD today and watched it. This movie is awesome! This is how I rank the Marvel animated films:

1. Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
6. Doctor Strange
7. Iron Man
8. Avengers 2
9. Avengers 1

This movie went beyond my expectations. I hate when cartoons make kiddie versions of adult superheros (Legion of Superheros, Teen Titans, for example). Strangely enough, this PG-rated league of kid superheros is the darkest one out of the five marvel animated flicks. This movie also has old Iron Man, old Hulk, Vision, Thor, old Betty Ross, and ULTRON!!! This is the first flick where they finally stuck to a famous villain from the beginning to the end of the flick, instead of some stupid new villain or some alien bug. Next Avengers is non-stop entertainment with great action and a good touching story, unlike in the other four animated Marvel flicks.

The DVD's anamorphic widescreen video quality is excellent, and it has a very acting DD 5.1 audio. In the extras, you will see a First Look at two upcoming Marvel films released in the beginning of 2009 - Hulk vs. Wolverine, and Hulk vs. Thor. They both look pretty awesome. And there are two other featurettes about the making of this film and also young superheros in the Marvel world.

Great animated flick! 9 out of 10 points!!!

Doctor Zoidberg 08-28-08 12:01 AM

What place has this the cheapest?

Superboy 08-29-08 06:38 AM

I thought it was really weak and lame, relying on many anime conventions. The ending was also totally unbelievable when you consider how difficult it was for the Avengers to have been defeated.

Pejorative 08-29-08 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 8900602)
I
I hate when cartoons make kiddie versions of adult superheros (Legion of Superheros, Teen Titans, for example).

Since when were those adult superheroes?

stingermck 08-29-08 08:37 AM

Hmm disliking Titans and Legion, and liking Young Avengers. Ive found my Bizzaro!

I havent watched any of the Marvel animated flicks since UA 2, yuck.

toddly6666 08-29-08 08:39 AM

Superboy,
but coming from a perspective of entertainment for kids (this one was marketed to the kids, not the adults), don't you think that it was pretty good? And speaking of believability or not, if a child superhero has the equivalent superpowers of an adult (which they did), why would there be a difference? And yes, adult superheroes (Avengers) may have more experience than child superheroes (Next Avengers), but there have been countless stories/fairytales/lessons about the smaller person beating the bigger person, which is true. You don't have to be older, stronger, wiser to overcome some problem (Ultron).
Spoiler:
The Next Avengers beat Ultron only because they had faith in Hulk. The old Avengers had lost their faith in Bruce Banner/Hulk, and would think that he would not only not help but also cause even more damage. The Next Avengers were wiser than the old Avengers, because they weren't afraid to ask for help (from Hulk) to defeat Ultron. The Next Avengers got their asses kicked from Ultron and knew they couldn't physically defeat him.

Yup, I just couldn't get into Teen Titans or Legion. I loved the old Power Pack Marvel comic book by the way (I don't like the new Power Pack version).

Thrush 09-03-08 06:39 AM

This was surprisingly good. Nothing groundbreaking of course. But of the recent glut of straight to video superhero fare, this ranks near the top. Certainly the best of the Marvel animated dreck.