DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Shield - The Complete Sixth Season'

Old 08-26-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVD Talk review of 'The Shield - The Complete Sixth Season'

I read David Walker's DVD review of The Shield - The Complete Sixth Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34425 and...

I would've liked to have seen some comment made, even if only as a brief addendum to the video portion of the review, on Sony's decision to alter the aspect ratio from the original broadcast format. I know the series has been shown in 16x9 overseas and this is generally accepted now as a "preferred" format with HD displays becoming more commonplace, but I am under the impression that this is cropped from the original 16mm and not opened up in any sense. Also, Shawn Ryan had stated a few seasons back that the show is intended to he viewed in 1.33:1 (admittedly, I don't know if he has said anything to counter this since) and this would seem to go against his wishes...
Old 08-27-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually the 4x3 aspect ratio is cropped from the 16x9 ( here's a thread that shows the differences). But you're correct in that the 4x3 image is the intended ratio.