Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom: Criterion Collection'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-20-08, 01:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom: Criterion Collection at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34357 and...this has been probably one of the most anticipated reviews in awhile. i wanted the movie for sheer shock and awe value. as it is so infamous that you just have to see for yourself, at least once, what it is all about.

after reading Bill's in-depth review, it seems the movie might have some intrinsic artistic values that i might get something out of. it will probably still turn my stomach, but perhaps there is more than meets the eye to this one?

who knows. i am still trying to justify whether $18 for what may be a 1x viewing is worth it.

but good review Bill and thanks.
Old 08-20-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post

who knows. i am still trying to justify whether $18 for what may be a 1x viewing is worth it.
There's always renting ....
Old 08-22-08, 07:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
There's always renting ....
That's what I've finally decided to do with Criterions.

With Netflix you should average no more than $1 per rental, so I'll be checking out hundreds of Criterions over the next few years.
Old 08-22-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"i am still trying to justify whether $18 for what may be a 1x viewing is worth it."

You said it. I'm happy (though I'm not exactly certain that is the correct adjective) that I have been able to see it once, but unless I were to study the film in depth or lend out to another who I think could even handle it, it would be a wasted purchase.
Old 08-23-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've waited 10 years to see this film..a little melodramatic but sorta the truth.

That review was very good. I really don't know what to expect. I've read so many things about the film. I doubt it will live up to it's hype (if you could call it that).

Edit -> Just came in the mail today. W00t!

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 08-23-08 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 10:28 AM
Banned

Hands down one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen, this was a blind buy for me, of course I heard all about the movie for years now and it was good to finally see it. I have to agree with the others this is a movie you will watch once and put it away. I would not even attempt to let family/friends borrow the movie. If anyone is undecided about purchasing it I highly recommend renting it first. Does Blockbuster carry this movie? Also on the dvd case it does not state what the movie is rated, is it Not Rated or was it rated NC-17 or even X?
Old 08-28-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Originally Posted by JonKramer991 View Post
Does Blockbuster carry this movie?
Sorry, but
Old 08-28-08, 12:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I've waited 10 years to see this film..a little melodramatic but sorta the truth.

That review was very good. I really don't know what to expect. I've read so many things about the film. I doubt it will live up to it's hype (if you could call it that).

Edit -> Just came in the mail today. P00p!
fixed!
Old 08-28-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"VERY LONG WAIT"-Netflix

Why am I not surprised?
Old 08-30-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hands down one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen, this was a blind buy for me, of course I heard all about the movie for years now and it was good to finally see it. I have to agree with the others this is a movie you will watch once and put it away. I would not even attempt to let family/friends borrow the movie. If anyone is undecided about purchasing it I highly recommend renting it first. Does Blockbuster carry this movie? Also on the dvd case it does not state what the movie is rated, is it Not Rated or was it rated NC-17 or even X?
Meh, it wasn't as disturbing as I thought it would be. It was bad but I guess I had heard so much about it, it didn't really live up to the hype.
Old 08-30-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen clips of this on YouTube. It was just bizarre. Different, sure. But not deserving of all the hype surrounding it.. I think the fact that it went out-of-print so long ago is the reason why.
Old 09-04-08, 11:47 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

De Sade's "120 Days ..." is one of the "unfilmable" books. Given that challenge, SALO is pretty successful.
Old 09-04-08, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by MrE View Post
De Sade's "120 Days ..." is one of the "unfilmable" books. Given that challenge, SALO is pretty successful.
Unfilmable according to who? :O
Old 09-04-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I've seen clips of this on YouTube. It was just bizarre. Different, sure. But not deserving of all the hype surrounding it.. I think the fact that it went out-of-print so long ago is the reason why.
That, and the whole director-gets-murdered-right-before-its-release thing.
Old 09-04-08, 02:30 PM

the film carries no rating and if it were ever submitted to the MPAA would definately receive a NC-17 rating.
Old 09-05-08, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Unfilmable according to who? :O
Oh believe me, I've been working to adapt Sade's work for a while, and it is indeed a near impossibility, unless one turns to his less dirty short works (which are brilliant as well, however).

As for "Salo"... Pasolini's film is a brilliant, disturbing masterpiece IMO, and a surprisingly effective and faithful (if extreeereeeemely un-commercial) adaptation.
Old 10-30-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
"VERY LONG WAIT"-Netflix

Why am I not surprised?
STILL on "VERY LONG WAIT"

Who's shit do I gotta eat just to watch this damn movie?
Old 10-30-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
STILL on "VERY LONG WAIT"

Who's shit do I gotta eat just to watch this damn movie?
you know I found it very amusing b/c my buddy ordered this on NEtflix and it SAID "Very Long Wait" but he ended up getting it within 2 days....must've gotten lucky