DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Hunt for Red October' (Blu-ray)

Old 08-10-08, 04:33 AM

DVD Talk review of 'The Hunt for Red October' (Blu-ray)

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of The Hunt for Red October at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34148 and...

Got to see RED OCTOBER last night and I must say it's the best transfer of all of them. Yes, there are some scenes in the film and there might be a slight bit of DNR but there is not the digital sharpening i've noticed on the other films. Certainly this is more film-like than the others in the series. Don't get me wrong, it's not an "eye-candy" film, but it accurately represents the film as it looks!

What did suprise me was the audio! I just didn't think a film made before digital surround sound would be this good! What immediately struck me about the TRUEHD track is the score and particularily the chorus. For the first time I really noticed the contribution of Basil Poledarius score which had such excellent detail. Also suprising me was the ambience of the sub sounds, the ambience never got lost in the soundfield.