DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

alfred hitchcock help

Old 07-21-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

alfred hitchcock help

for anyone that owns the hitchcock collections i was looking for some help with which collections i should buy. i don't own any of his films yet, but am looking to try and get most of them (for as little as possible of course). so what are the best collections/versions of films/best prices...any help would be appreciated..thanks in adavance
Old 07-21-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The most essential collections are:

Warner's Signature Collection
  • Strangers on a Train
  • North by Northwest
  • Dial M for Murder
  • Foreign Correspondent
  • Suspicion
  • The Wrong Man
  • Stage Fright
  • I Confess
  • Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Universal's Masterpiece Collection:
  • Psycho
  • Vertigo
  • Rear Window
  • The Birds
  • Shadow of a Doubt
  • Family Plot
  • Frenzy
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much
  • Marnie
  • Rope
  • Saboteur
  • Topaz
  • Torn Curtain
  • The Trouble with Harry

...and, coming in October, MGM's Premiere Collection with:
  • Rebecca
  • The Lodger
  • The Paradine Case
  • Spellbound
  • Notorious
  • Young and Innocent
  • Sabotage
  • Lifeboat

Between those three sets, you'll have almost every last one of Hitchcock's Hollywood movies. You'll have to get To Catch a Thief on its own, but it's cheap -- $8 at Amazon for the re-release. I believe Under Capricorn is the only other of his Hollywood movies that isn't represented in one of these three collections, and it's going for $11 at Amazon.

If you only have the time/money for one of those sets, I'd recommend the Universal since that has more of Hitch's most iconic movies and more of my personal favorites, but you can't really go wrong with any of them.
Old 07-21-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What he said. I also just received The Early Hitchcock Collection from the UK which is 9 films, silent and talkies, from 1928-1932. I have the Signature and Masterpiece collections and when it comes out, I'll have the Premiere collection as well, even though I have half of the films in it already.
Old 07-21-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sounds great...looked into both and amazon has a good deal on the sign. coll. right now ($49.99). i think i'll wait for a price drop on the masterpiece collection, but i did find another set called "The Ultimate Hitchcock Collection". 6 dvds, 18 films for $19.99 @ Borders.com and hoping the 40% off coupon still works. from reading reviews it sounds like this set is most of his early British films, before heading to Hollywood. seems like a great deal...27 films for $70. thanks adam and zomb
Old 07-22-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be wary of Public Domain releases like the St. Claire set - they are frequently of poor quality, though I cannot vouch for that particular set. One box set not mentioned yet is the Studio Canal five film set of early Hitchcock, available from Amazon here. It includes The Ring / The Manxman / Murder! / The Skin Game / Rich and Strange, as well as a brief featurette. A good deal for $25.49. There are literally dozens of versions of Hitchcock's pre-Hollywood films floating around, and most are of questionable quality. www.dvdbeaver.com is a dependable site for transfer comparisons between various versions of films, and they have an entire section devoted to Hitchcock. Just click on his name in the 'Director's Chair' Database located here.
Old 07-22-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i agree about the quality noirfan. i'm not expecting much, especially with 3 films/dvd. but i ordered it anyways bc i haven't seen any of the films and was able to use the 40% off coupon on it. so 18 films i've never seen for $12...couldn't really pass that up. if i end up really liking the films and the quality is that bad i may look for a better set in the future.
i also ended up getting the masterpiece collection (decided to wait on the sign.coll.). so final checkout (incl. tax/free shipping) came to $90.50 on borders.com. (32 films oh yeah!!)