Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Sword in the Stone - 45th Anniversary Edition'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-18-08, 03:36 PM

I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of The Sword in the Stone - 45th Anniversary Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33635 and...
there is a major difference between the two transfers. the only thing that makes them similar is that they're both (incorrectly) 1.33:1 aspect.
if you'll look...the 2001 edition crops visual information from the left and bottom of the frame. the 2008 edition crops it from the right and top...

oh...one other thing makes them equal...they're both entirely unworthy of release, by today's (hell...by 2001's!) standards.
even if the OAR is merely 1.66:1 (as most animations are), in this digital era...they MUST be presented at that ratio!!! anything less is utterly inexcusable.

but then...what else would you expect from an evil empire like disney?
Old 06-19-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by diablosinc
I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of The Sword in the Stone - 45th Anniversary Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33635 and...
there is a major difference between the two transfers. the only thing that makes them similar is that they're both (incorrectly) 1.33:1 aspect.
if you'll look...the 2001 edition crops visual information from the left and bottom of the frame. the 2008 edition crops it from the right and top...
You do realize those weren't exact frame grabs, right? They were taken from the same scene to give you an idea of how the visual quality compares, but it even states the shots were "taken moments apart"...that accounts for how you are seeing a little more left and bottom on one and more right and top on the other, as the camera is panning as the characters walk...

Either way, I am (in a way) personally glad Disney didn't release this in 16x9 enhanced 1.66 widescreen as it was originally announced, because they just saved me $20 to just hold onto my virtually identical Gold Collection disc!
Old 06-19-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesn't really bother me that this wasn't released in widescreen, because the full frame is the only way I have ever seen the movie.