DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Hard Boiled: 2-Disc Ultimate Edition'

Old 05-19-08, 01:50 PM

DVD Talk review of 'Hard Boiled: 2-Disc Ultimate Edition'

I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of Hard Boiled: 2-Disc Ultimate Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29507 and would just like to note that the Tartan Collector's Edition DVD of Hard-Boiled (with properly translated subtitles, even if it does have the PAL 4% speed up) is available pretty cheaply at amazon.co.uk; just log in with your amazon.com userID and it will have your address and payment information already on-board. It is a PAL disc, not NTSC, but you can get DVD players that will handle that (such as the Phillips DVP-642) for under $50 these days—and if you play through your computer, that's not a problem at all.

Also, the Mei-Ah remastered version is available cheaply through DDD House, an exporter in Hong Kong. (Remember, US$1 = HK$7.90.) As far as I know, it should be region 0 and play on any US player.

As an added bonus, neither of these films suffer from the crop-and-stretch that dogs DD's Hard-Boiled print. And they're cheap enough you might just want to go ahead and get 'em both! (Though they probably will take a bit of time to cross their respective oceans.)

Last edited by Robotech_Master; 05-20-08 at 09:37 AM. Reason: I was in error to state the Tartan disc was region-locked
Old 05-19-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 05-19-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Tartan is NOT region locked, it is all region, so that is even better since a lot of DVD players will play PAL in R0 even if they don't explicitly state it. I have both the Tartan and the Dragon Dynasty editions.
Old 05-20-08, 09:38 AM

Hey cool, even better!

Now if only there were some way to deal with the 4% time compression.
Old 05-20-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

FYI, Tartan in the UK does not generally region lock their stuff.