Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Meet The Spartans - Unrated ''Pit of Death'' Edition'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-06-08, 05:32 PM

I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of Meet The Spartans - Unrated ''Pit of Death'' Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33056 and...

I'm not going to disagree with you on the majority, but I think you're wrong about the two featurettes. Did you watch them?

They're both spoof pieces and they're pretty fun. "Preparing for Thrusting" is clearly NOT a typical making of -- it's all jokes, totally fake. And the set tour piece is likewise a spoof -- it quickly degrades into everyone making fun of Ike Barinholtz.

I know we're not talking about high art here, but it almost seems like you didn't really watch them.
Old 05-06-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by checkup47
I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of Meet The Spartans - Unrated ''Pit of Death'' Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33056 and...

I'm not going to disagree with you on the majority, but I think you're wrong about the two featurettes. Did you watch them?

They're both spoof pieces and they're pretty fun. "Preparing for Thrusting" is clearly NOT a typical making of -- it's all jokes, totally fake. And the set tour piece is likewise a spoof -- it quickly degrades into everyone making fun of Ike Barinholtz.

I know we're not talking about high art here, but it almost seems like you didn't really watch them.
I said Barinholtz was funny, but after sitting through that film, I didn't find the rest of it too entertaining, no matter how goofy the Spartans were in their workouts.
Old 06-06-08, 09:47 AM

I rented the Blu-Ray version--the picture was great, but the movie itself was terrible.

The thing that annoyed me the most about this film is that they didn't even seem to have faith in the audience to get the parody references (or no confidence that their parodies were good enough). Every reference was announced "Hey, it's so-and-so from this program", or there was a banner displaying the name of the show they were parodying.

I laughed for about the first 2 minutes and then couldn't wait for it to be over. Almost as bad as Epic Movie, but definitely worse than Date Movie. (Why I keep watching these I have no idea.)