Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The H.P. Lovecraft Collection, Vol. 2: Dreams of Cthulhu'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of The H.P. Lovecraft Collection, Vol. 2: Dreams of Cthulhu at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33122 and...
although I was a little surprised to read the review of volume one last week (didn't look at the release date), it wasn't until this review that I realized that these are all reissues (the title and cover of this one are a little different from the original vol 2, simply titled "Rough Magik".) Frustratingly enough - unless I simply missed them (since they're not listed on the back and didn't sound familiar), it looks as though they re-released this volume with new shorts -- the aforementioned "Experiment 17 and 18". Since they had already put out 4 individual volumes, including one virtually exclusively devoted to different versions of "Pickman's Model", I'm really disappointed that they're trying to force double dipping here rather than simply re-releasing the original discs (perhaps cheaper) and adding additional volumes.

thanks for the detailed reviews though.
Old 05-05-08, 09:28 PM
Defunct Account

Hi Tuan,

I don't think it's so much a double-dip thing as a new studio is releasing them, hopefully to a larger market. (They released the first four volumes all at the same time, and I should have reviews of 3 and 4 up before too long.) I believe that Volume 2 was the only one that had significant changes: They fixed the bad audio, removed two heavy metal rock videos and replaced them with two new shorts.

I'll admit that it does suck that old buyers are missing out on the new shorts.
Old 05-08-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Thanks for the info - I may have to doubledip on that disc but hopefully the others are all the same. Have you seen any information on additional discs beyond the original 4 in the works?
Old 05-08-08, 11:51 PM
Defunct Account

No I don't, but I'll see if I can find something out from the publisher.
Old 05-14-08, 06:46 AM
Defunct Account

Good news: I was able to find out that the 5th volume of the Lovecraft series along with the Poe and Weird Tale Collections will be released in the Fall. There are also two more Lovecraft DVDs in the works, one which will feature animated adaptations.
Old 05-16-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Greetings.

Yes, these Lovecraft DVDs are being released to a much wider market. The original DVDs were released by the very small fan-based Lurker Films (part of the Lovecraft circle including the HP Lovecraft Historical Society and HP Lovecraft film festival). The reissues are distributed by Microcinema & are much more widely available & should reach lots of people who weren't previously aware of them. Cheaper too, I preordered all 4 from DVDPlanet for $12 each!

Glad to know there's two more in the works. Do you know by chance if the documentary The Eldritch Influence will be rereleased for wider audiences?
Old 05-17-08, 02:48 PM
Defunct Account

I'm not sure, but I'll see if I can find out.

John