DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   DVD Talk review of 'Total Recall' (Blu-ray) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/529982-dvd-talk-review-total-recall-blu-ray.html)

monbois 04-21-08 10:30 AM

DVD Talk review of 'Total Recall' (Blu-ray)

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Total Recall at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23982 and...

I think John Sinnott must be on cheapo Lionsgate's payroll to give positive reviews of their shoddy Blu-ray discs! "Total Recall" is an embarrassment! There's nothing at all high definition about "Total Recall" on Blu-ray. The picture looks worse than a worn-out VHS tape, grainy with faded colors, dirt, etc. This review's a load of caca!

Adam Tyner 04-21-08 10:44 AM

I haven't seen this disc myself, but for what it's worth:

High Def Digest gave the Blu-ray disc the exact same rating John did.

DVD Town rated it a 7 / 10 (which maps pretty nicely to DVD Talk's 3.5 / 5).

DVD Authority rated it a bit higher than the rest -- 4.0 / 5.

The only Blu-ray review I could find quickly that gave the disc lower marks than John was the 3.0 review at UpcomingDiscs.com.

I'm not saying that because all of these reviewers gave the disc a pretty decent write-up that they're right and you're wrong -- I mean, I've definitely disagreed with a majority of reviewers before about this sort of thing -- but John's definitely not alone in this.

Also, bear in mind that this review was written in Sept. '06, making it a fairly early Blu-ray release. The staff's writers were probably still finding their footing and firming up what to expect from a high-def release. I've given several of my early HD DVD reviews -- closing in on being 2 years old -- another look, and I'd rate several of them much lower now than I did at the time.

Saying that the Blu-ray disc looks like a worn-out VHS is so deep into ridiculous hyperbole territory that it's kinda hard to take you seriously, though. I haven't seen an HD DVD or a Blu-ray disc that didn't improve upon the DVD, and I can't imagine that Total Recall could possibly be so bad as to be a few steps back from even that.

John Sinnott 04-21-08 11:32 AM

Thanks for the research Adam.

As Adam said, it was an early review and I may have graded it differently now. There was only one player on the market at the time, and it had it's share of problems.

Having said that it's hard to enter into a discussion about the merits of a disc's image when the original poster exaggerated to the point of absurdity. :rolleyes:

GSandruck3 01-19-09 10:16 PM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Total Recall' (Blu-ray)

With the exception of the vitriolic diatribes leveled at Mr. Sinnott by Mr./Ms. monbois, "Total Recall" on Blu-Ray really is an embarrassment.

There is nothing high definition about it. The video transfer looks as bad as a VHS tape, grainy with faded colors, negative scratches and dirt in abundance, an unstable and shakey image (worn film sprocket holes?), a very tired and old looking print.

It appears to be a direct port over from an earlier laser disc transfer.

With a very strong explanation of its inferiority, I will be returning the copy to the retailer I purchased it this weekend.

Mr. Sinnott's review needs to be updated. If he views it upon a current player, I am certain his appraisal if it will change dramatically.

Vipper II 01-21-09 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by GSandruck3 (Post 9209991)

Mr. Sinnott's review needs to be updated. If he views it upon a current player, I am certain his appraisal if it will change dramatically.

Perhaps all of DVD Talk's reviewers should go back over every single title they've ever reviewed (DVD/Blu-ray/HD DVD) and update their ratings where necessary, since movies that looked great five years ago might no longer impress given current standards. And then, they can implement a system where they continue to make similar updates on a quarterly basis.

Houstondon 01-21-09 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Vipper II (Post 9212936)
(sarcasm)Perhaps all of DVD Talk's reviewers should go back over every single title they've ever reviewed (DVD/Blu-ray/HD DVD) and update their ratings where necessary, since movies that looked great five years ago might no longer impress given current standards. And then, they can implement a system where they continue to make similar updates on a quarterly basis.(/sarcasm)

Fixed...

Vipper II 01-21-09 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Houstondon (Post 9212998)
Fixed...

I was hoping that some of my word choices would have indicated I was being sarcastic.

Houstondon 01-21-09 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Vipper II (Post 9213076)
I was hoping that some of my word choices would have indicated I was being sarcastic.

I picked up on it but sadly enough, we get numerous emails about this type of thing, sometimes years after reviews were written, all but demanding revisions.

Gizmo 01-21-09 07:28 PM

Perhaps all of DVD Talk's reviewers should go back over every single title they've ever reviewed (DVD/Blu-ray/HD DVD) and update their ratings where necessary, since movies that looked great five years ago might no longer impress given current standards. And then, they can implement a system where they continue to make similar updates on a quarterly basis.

Right. And you expect that the reviewers will:
a. Have the time (especially with 30-40 new titles a month coming out on Blu-ray)
b. Still have the disc.
c. Want to watch some of the same crappy films all over again

Sorry, not going to happen. (And I know you were being sarcastic - but this point has been brought up before here)

Kurt D 01-22-09 01:15 AM

What's all the hubbub about? It's worked for George Lucas! ;) [ducks]