Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Day of the Dead (2008)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Day of the Dead (2008) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32823 and...

I can't wait to listen to the commentary track now. It sounds like hell.
Old 04-02-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This review made the movie sound really bad but then I got to the part where he callled the Dawn of the Dead remake "ridiculous".

For me, that line just instantly invalidated every opinion that came before it. Now I have to wait for some more reviews before I can dismiss the Day remake completely.
Old 04-04-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Puzznic
This review made the movie sound really bad but then I got to the part where he callled the Dawn of the Dead remake "ridiculous".

For me, that line just instantly invalidated every opinion that came before it. Now I have to wait for some more reviews before I can dismiss the Day remake completely.

My thoughts also. I really like the Dawn remake and I will give this one a shot. Can it be as bad as "Contagium" ???????????????? Is that possible?

Dirk
Old 04-05-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow guys. I'm came here to say the same thing. If its half as good as the Dawn remake, it'll be fun. Guess I'll have to watch it myself.
Old 04-06-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like a great double feature with House of the Dead.
Old 04-07-08, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you people on crack? I can bet you money that this film is a piece of shit and I haven't seen it!

1a) It's a remake of a lesser sequel.

1b) Romero wrote a great screenplay that was never used due to budget issues and that screenplay SHOULD'VE BEEN USED HERE! You don't even have to hire a fucking screenwriter! YOU SAVE MONEY!!!

2) It's directed by Steve Miner, a hack who has directed nothing but shit in his career and has nearly ruined two horror franchises. His latest film is a direct-to-video "flop" starring Jessica Simpson.

3) It's written by Jeffrey Reddick, another fucking hack who has written nothing but shit.

4) It stars Mena Suvari and Nick Cannon.

5) It was completed nearly two years ago.

6) It's getting sent directly to DVD despite the fact that Dawn of the Dead made $60 million theatrically on a $25 million budget, Land of the Dead made $20 million theatrically on a $10 million budget, and the Weinsteins gave Diary of the Dead a small theatrical release (despite it being a piece of shit).

7) ALL of the test screenings on this film came back negative.

8) Brian Orndorf is one of the few critics I seem to always agree with. I disagree with him now and then (like the Dawn remake comments in his review), but I think he's probably spot on with his review.

Seriously. If any of you think this film has a chance to be good, I want the drugs you're taking.
Old 04-07-08, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never said that I thought it would be good, but it might be a semi-fun diversion. as for your strikes:

I like alot of Steve Minor stuff: House is a brilliant movie, his two Friday the 13ths are good ones (esp 3), and I liked Lake Placid.

As for Jeffery Riddick: I find the Final Destination movies pretty enjoyable and I'm looking forward to part 4.

Not everything has to be high art. Plus, I'll form my own opinions, Thanks so much.
Old 04-07-08, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
! YOU SAVE MONEY!!!
2) It's directed by Steve Miner, a hack who has directed nothing but shit in his career and has nearly ruined two horror franchises. His latest film is a direct-to-video "flop" starring Jessica Simpson.
He's made some shit but imo Friday the 13 part 2 and Halloween H20 are two of the better films of those franchises.
Old 04-07-08, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
He's made some shit but imo Friday the 13 part 2 and Halloween H20 are two of the better films of those franchises.
H20 is not a good film, but it's better than Part 6 and 8. Then again...

As for Jeffery Riddick: I find the Final Destination movies pretty enjoyable and I'm looking forward to part 4.
Riddick had nothing to do with the Final Destination sequels and that's why they're far and away superior to the original. I also blame Wong and Morgan for the original, as I bet they're the ones who decided to throw in the lame FBI subplot halfway through act two.

Not everything has to be high art. Plus, I'll form my own opinions, Thanks so much.
I like my trash as much as anyone else, but I want my trash to be entertaining and not to treat me like I'm stupid.

I just honestly don't see this remake being entertaining at all. The trailers for the film are awful and the cast and crew have nothing positive going for it. It also doesn't help that the film was financed by Nu Image/Millennium Films (bleh).

There are wonderful horror remakes like Dawn of the Dead that play up the creativity from the original and give it their own twist, but those remakes are made by people who actually have a thing we call talent (Snyder and Gunn -- and Gunn happened to have his hand in two of the worst films of the past 10 years).

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 04-07-08 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-07-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see where your coming from. But at the end of the day, I'm pretty easy to entertain. I agree about not being treated stupid, but I'll have to watch it to see. Trust me, I'll be the first to say its crap if it makes me mad
Old 04-07-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I see where your coming from. But at the end of the day, I'm pretty easy to entertain. I agree about not being treated stupid, but I'll have to watch it to see. Trust me, I'll be the first to say its crap if it makes me mad
See, I am too, but Day of the Dead is an idea of high concept.

Romero's original screenplay is near brilliant and there's tons of ideas and ways one can go from there. To play towards the lowest common denominator is just upsetting, especially since Gunn and Snyder did the opposite for the Dawn remake.
Old 04-09-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok all, I watched this tonight and hey, I don't regret it. It wasn't a huge time investment and it had a pretty good pace. No work of art, just separate the title from the movie and you should have a decent enough time. Lots of fighting through zombie hordes, which I enjoy. The effects were decent, too. Nick Cannon gave me some trouble but not enough to bring the whole show down though. There were a couple of instances of spiderzombie stuff. But hey, watch it and see. Not totally bad and...wait for it....it was more entertaining to me than Diary of the Dead.
Old 04-09-08, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sadly, I can see that being very possible (being better than Diary, that is). I'll probably end up seeing this. I saw Day of the Dead 2, and I simply know that there is just no way that this could be that bad.
Old 04-09-08, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn
I saw Day of the Dead 2, and I simply know that there is just no way that this could be that bad.
That's what I think. I will pick it up tonight.

Dirk
Old 04-09-08, 11:29 AM

I couldn't finish Day of the Dead 2. And I hated the original Day of the Dead also. But where Brian's review falls of the rails is in not recognizing how terrific the remake of Dawn of the Dead is. It and 28 Days reinvigorated the zombie genre. I can't see putting it down, frankly.
Old 04-10-08, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by The O
And keep in mind that I'm not declaring war on those who enjoy the "Day" remake. More power to you. It's just an opinion, not a law.
Amazing how nobody seems to get that.

And how could Brian's review "fail" just because you "didn't recognize how terrific" the Dawn remake is? How dare him!
Old 04-10-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Just to defend Ethan, he never used the word "fail." He just mentioned that Brian's review "fell off the tracks," in his opinion, at moment of the Dawn dig. I totally understand the notion of dismissing a review when a reviewer lets go with an offhand remark with which I completely disagree.

Last edited by Jason Bovberg; 04-11-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by The O
Yes, how dare I not share an opinion with you!

"Dawn" review from 2004

And keep in mind that I'm not declaring war on those who enjoy the "Day" remake. More power to you. It's just an opinion, not a law.
Er...you did share an opinion. You called Dawn of the Dead 2004 "ridiculous". And it's difficult to trust the word of a reviewer who doesn't recognize the good examples of the genre of film he is reviewing.

Rating Dawn of the Dead 2004 (in the review you just provided) as a D+ accidentally suggests we grade your zero star review of Day of the Dead on a curve. I was pretty sure, having not yet even seen it, that it was a terrible movie. After reading your review, now I'm not so sure.

And telling me "more power to me" if I disagree is silly. I understand that. I'm just hoping that someone who is a fan of say, Godzilla movies, reviews a new Godzilla release for me. It doesn't seem like you like zombie movies, that's all.

No offense intended.
Old 04-11-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are wonderful horror remakes like Dawn of the Dead that play up the creativity from the original and give it their own twist, but those remakes are made by people who actually have a thing we call talent (Snyder and Gunn -- and Gunn happened to have his hand in two of the worst films of the past 10 years).

If you are referring to Scooby Doo 1 and 2 then I say ... damn you good sir. Damn you. Long live Matthew Lillards "career".
Old 04-12-08, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
I saw this in Blockbuster today. That cover is effing gross. Ugh.
Old 04-12-08, 03:45 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Traxan
I saw this in Blockbuster today. That cover is effing gross. Ugh.
It's DAY OF THE DEAD, not the Brady Bunch.

Feel better now?
Old 04-12-08, 09:49 AM

Looks like there are two different covers. I have seen both in store too.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=136664

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=136664

Dirk
Old 04-12-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Blockbuster one had a lenticular cover. He's looking at you... then he's pukin'
Old 04-12-08, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
The Blockbuster one had a lenticular cover. He's looking at you... then he's pukin'
That's the one that FYE had but Circuit City had the other cover.

Dirk
Old 04-12-08, 04:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

This new Day of the Dead, even standing on its own, is House of The Dead horrible! I turned this piece of cinematic swill off within the first 30 minutes...or whenever I seen the zombie climb up the way and scramble acoss the ceiling! Believe me, it was getting very bad even befoe that scene, but I was bored - abysmal tripe. 0/10

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.