DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   DVD Talk review of 'Revolver' (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/527656-dvd-talk-review-revolver.html)

tbickle 03-18-08 06:58 PM

DVD Talk review of 'Revolver'

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Revolver at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32598 and...I couldn't disagree more - well except for needing two advil once it's done. It's impenetrable at worst, jaw-droppingly obvious at best. It's the film equivalent of a snake eating it's own tail only to end up in a poof! of smoke - if only my DVD would disappear the same way. From the garish, tacky production design to Liotta's cheshire cat at a tanning salon antagonist - this is one of the most tedious films of last year....

slop101 03-19-08 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by tbickle
this is one of the most tedious films of last year....

How does that work, since it came out in 2005?

tbickle 03-19-08 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
How does that work, since it came out in 2005?

um, yes, it was released in the UK in 2005... but got a limited theatrical release in the US late last year (where it made a whopping $75,000) hence my statement...

OldBoy 03-19-08 12:43 PM

It's the film equivalent of a snake eating it's own tail only to end up in a poof! of smoke

how could a snake eating it's own tail end up in a poof! of smoke?

tbickle 03-19-08 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
how could a snake eating it's own tail end up in a poof! of smoke?

I can't be exact but I'm pretty sure it's close to how Ritchie climbed up his own arse to make this film and ended up in a poof! of smoke...

Honestly, I just like that visual as a blowhard analogy...is it really that perplexing?

OldBoy 03-19-08 01:54 PM

Honestly, I just like that visual as a blowhard analogy...is it really that perplexing?

no, but your incorrect use of adjective laden metaphor is.

tbickle 03-19-08 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
no, but your incorrect use of adjective laden metaphor is.

um...so that would be yes, it is that perplexing....

adjective-laden metaphor?...really?

I didn't like the film, disagreed with the reviewer and expressed my opinion on this forum - which is the very purpose of this forum. What exactly is your purpose here other than to just be obnoxious?

Liquid Death 03-19-08 08:39 PM

i liked the snake metaphor. i'm not renting the film, but that gave me a chuckle...

Josh Z 03-20-08 10:12 AM

adjective-laden metaphor?...really?

I didn't like the film, disagreed with the reviewer and expressed my opinion on this forum - which is the very purpose of this forum. What exactly is your purpose here other than to just be obnoxious?

I don't think he has a problem with you not liking the film, just the way you've expressed that opinion. What you've done is called "mixing metaphors". A snake eating its own tail is one metaphor. Going up in a puff of smoke is another. Generally, snakes don't burst into flame when eating their own tails. :)

tbickle 03-20-08 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I don't think he has a problem with you not liking the film, just the way you've expressed that opinion. What you've done is called "mixing metaphors". A snake eating its own tail is one metaphor. Going up in a puff of smoke is another. Generally, snakes don't burst into flame when eating their own tails. :)

indeed, but I generally find "mixing metaphors" the only feasible option when putting a visual reminiscent of a cartoon into words. When you're talking about global warming, sure, avoid mixed metaphors - when you're describing a fairly obvious comic visual not meant to be taken literally, I think one can hop off their grammar high horse for a sec...

Josh Z 03-20-08 03:35 PM

indeed, but I generally find "mixing metaphors" the only feasible option when putting a visual reminiscent of a cartoon into words. When you're talking about global warming, sure, avoid mixed metaphors - when you're describing a fairly obvious comic visual not meant to be taken literally, I think one can hop off their grammar high horse for a sec...

You might think that, but don't count your chickens 'til the cows come home. :)

tbickle 03-20-08 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You might think that, but don't count your chickens 'til the cows come home. :)

Certainly an embellished example of "mixing metaphors"...:)

Heliosphann 03-21-08 11:47 PM

I need to revisit this film, but when I watched it a year ago or so, I LOVED IT. Very French New Wave. As much as I enjoy Guy's other films (Snatch, Lock Stock), I think this is his best yet.