Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How is the 5 Disc Version of Blade Runner that much better than the 4 Disc version?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

How is the 5 Disc Version of Blade Runner that much better than the 4 Disc version?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More specifically, what exactly is on that 5th disc, and is it really worth paying double the price of the 4-disc version to attain it? I'm going to buy one or the other this week and am torn between the two, especially since the 5 disc version is no longer available everywhere. I know it comes in a snazzy looking briefcase.

Any deeper views into this would be appreciated. Thanks.

E-mail at [email protected].
Old 03-15-08, 10:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
the 5th disc is a completly different cut of the movie. a workprint cut that was not available anywhere and tells the tale in a slightly altered way. different look obviously (not finished and theatrical looking), different feel, might not have the same flavor of the original that you saw, but that isn't the point of this cut. so if you love the movie and i would say love and want everything to do with it then it is a big deal. if that doesn't matter to you (having every possible version of 1 film) then pass it.

but, i like multiple versions of movies i like and the cool packaging was a no-brainer for me!!!

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-16-08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-15-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Yep, what Scott says is true. 5th disc is the "Workprint" cut of the film. With an introduction by Ridley Scott, a commentary with Paul M. Sammon, and a featurette called "All Our Variant Futures" about the history of the various versions.

I bought the Blu-ray version that's only available with the fifth disc but if I had bought the SD I wouldn't have paid extra for the briefcase and knick-knacks, IMO, not worth the extra money.
Old 03-15-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
..but if I had bought the SD I wouldn't have paid extra for the briefcase and knick-knacks, IMO, not worth the extra money.
Unless you could unload it on eBay for half the inital purchase price. Which is what I did. Sold 2 days after I listed it back in January. There still could be a demand. So I got the 5D for the price of the 4D.
Old 03-15-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Go with the fourth disc, unless you have HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

I consider myself a hardcore Blade Runner fan, but I couldn't justify paying $50+ for the SD briefcase when I got the 4Disc SD for $20.

There's a line between being a hardcore fan and being stupid and I think this is a good example.

I'll eventually get the fifth disc, but only when I spot the HD set show up again for $10 used at a local music and film store.
Old 03-15-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
G
There's a line between being a hardcore fan and being stupid and I think this is a good example.
Well I think you just alienated a lot of people that actually enjoy collectible packaging in addition to owning the film(s). ..and that's irregardless as to price or quality.

You may not like it, but that simple fact doesn't make everyone else wrong. Pretty weak dude.
Old 03-16-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Excuse me???
Old 03-16-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very nice! There are a lot of people who wanted the Ultimate Collector's Edition, such as myself, because we felt that the extra disc, as well as the packaging and other goodies, are worth the extra expense. That doesn't make us stupid.

You really need to rephrase your statement, buddy.
Old 03-16-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it didn't have "All Our Variant Futures" on the fifth disc I might have gone for the four-disc. Maybe. But I love featurettes on DVD production, where they talk about restoring the film and new cuts and stuff like that.
Old 03-16-08, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
If it didn't have "All Our Variant Futures" on the fifth disc I might have gone for the four-disc. Maybe. But I love featurettes on DVD production, where they talk about restoring the film and new cuts and stuff like that.
Anybody know approx. how long that Variant Futures featurette on the 5th Disc runs? If it were just a short thing, I might go for the 4-disc, but if it were lengthier, that may be the selling point for me as well. Thanks.

Thanks for all the info thus far guys!
Old 03-16-08, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stonecountry
Anybody know approx. how long that Variant Futures featurette on the 5th Disc runs? If it were just a short thing, I might go for the 4-disc, but if it were lengthier, that may be the selling point for me as well. Thanks.

Thanks for all the info thus far guys!
All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut is a 30 minute featurette. It is very interesting. It examines all of the different versions of the film, as well the work that went into The Final Cut, and how the whole project came about.

It's also worth noting that there is an introduction by Ridley Scott before the "Workprint" version. Also, it features an audio commentary by Paul Sammon, who is widely considered to be the ultimate historian and expert on all things related to Blade Runner.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-16-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought All Our Variant Futures was the most enjoyable extra on the whole set. They packed a lot of really interesting info into 30 minutes.

I'm very happy I went with the SD ultimate 5 disc edition. It's just money, and the enjoyment I've gotten from the set far outweighs it.
Old 03-16-08, 08:32 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

It's, like, one more disc.
Old 03-16-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Eh, I had forgotten about the knick-knacks. I guess for $50, some people could justify a purchase.
Old 03-16-08, 04:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Eh, I had forgotten about the knick-knacks. I guess for $50, some people could justify a purchase.
way to save face
Old 03-16-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
way to save face

lame ass attempt to anyway...
Old 03-17-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The workprint disc was the first one I watched. There is a different feel to the workprint version. It seemed, for lack of better descriptors, purer and more wide-eyed than the final version of the film. I enjoyed it quite a bit, even with it's bumps and blemishes. I agree with a previous poster that the commentary was quite good and informative, as well. The short documentary was good, but I honestly can't say that I would ever watch it again.

Is the extra disc worth $20 or so? That depends entirely on one's own priorities and finances, of course. It was an easy decision for me, because I got the lower-priced HDM version. Is it possible to rent the 5th disc?
Old 03-17-08, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
I think it just depends on how much you enjoy the movie. I am a big fan of the film and went ahead and bought the briefcase.

If you can't afford the briefcase and can't see yourself watching the workprint version, then just buy the 4-disc set. It's that's simple. There's no need to call people stupid for buying the briefcase and saying it's a waste of money.
Old 03-17-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow - you really have diarrhea today.
Old 03-17-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have an idea...

Pick up the HD version on clearance, and find a cheap ($70) HD-DVD player...and voila! You get the 5D set, and you have a player to upconvert the rest of your collection.