Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Nines'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of The Nines at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32002 and...

I thought it was a good review. This movie wasn't given the proper theatre release because it was said that it couldn't be marketed to a "wide audience". Which I agree with. I was lucky enough to catch this movie in it's limited release in New York and I left the theatre completely blown away and completely confused at the same time. It is definitely a movie I need to watch a few more times.

I can't wait until the DVD comes out on January 29, 2008.
Old 01-16-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Decent movie, it was entertaining/fun to watch but I'm not sure I liked the final answer to all of it. It worked well as a metaphor (sort of spoiler)
Spoiler:
for getting lost in the worlds you create (writing, gaming, acting, etc -- all things you lose yourself into to do well) and weighing out the real you with the obsessed you,
but some of it just didn't work. (I actually didn't like seeing/hearing "nine" everywhere, it was distracting in a "flashbacks of the number 23" way -- not good.)

I do recommend it, though. Despite some reservations, it's still an interesting, entertaining little movie and not like every other movie out there, which is an immediate plus.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-16-08 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-18-08, 03:54 AM

I just watched it, and I liked it - sort of, as others have said. I agree with the review on the acting, as I thought Reynolds and McCarthy did an amazing job. I also thought it was nice to see a movie that sort of spiritual in nature, but I didn't feel bludgeoned you over the head with beliefs, not even in that "make up your own mind but obviously you'll draw this conclusion" sort of way. At least how I felt.

The special features were great too; definitely check out the short "God".
Old 01-31-08, 08:37 AM

I watched the DVD last night.

Deleted Scenes were pretty weak ....

I did, however, enjoy the "God" short film. I thought it was hilarious. Also the "Making of" feature was really good.

Give it a shot.
Old 02-04-08, 07:12 PM

I did search for a discussion thread but didn't find one so just point me in the direction if I missed it.

Can anyone offer their opinions on the ending? (and the alternate one) I guess I'm just too dense too suss it out.

Spoiler:
Was Mellissa McCarty's character supposed to be the genesis of the whole thing? Ryan Reynolds was just an aspect of her mind? So then who were the other God characters "the nines"? And was there supposed to be a whole SIMS thing going on with the numbers above their heads? (I barely know anything about that game)

And the alternate ending with the G above the house that became a 9 totally confused me more

help me

and the God short was awesome!