DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Die Hard Collection' (Blu-ray)

Old 12-04-07, 02:06 PM

DVD Talk review of 'Die Hard Collection' (Blu-ray)

I read Daniel Hirshleifer's DVD review of Die Hard Collection at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31596 and...

I have such a problem with anyone liking part 3 more than part 2. I just don't understand it. MAYBE if they had included the original ending in the third film, I could see it, but I believe part 2 is a great action film whereas part 3 starts off strong then falls apart completely in the last 45 minutes. And Live Free? I'm calling it the second best action film of the year, second only to Transformers.

Flame on!
Old 12-04-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I have a problem with anyone not thinking part 3 was infinitely better than part 2..
Old 12-04-07, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I have a problem with anyone not thinking part 3 was infinitely better than part 2..
2 is garbage. Utter garbage. A re-tread in the worst possible manner. When I hear the chick reporters voice, I cringe. When the final set-pieces begin, I get nauseous. It's awful.

While 3 is MUCH better (infinitely? nah) than 2, the OP is right - the last 30-45 minutes are not up to par. What was the original ending?? I'm now dying to know!

4 is a lot of dumb fun, and I like Olyphant just fine. 2nd to Transformers for this summer? That's a hard sell...but, it was a blast.
Old 12-04-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like 2 much better than 3
Old 12-04-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

3 is vastly better than 2. It amazes me that someone could claim to like 2 better with a straight face.
Old 12-04-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How can anyone be trashing 2 over 3 when LFODH is obivously the worst of the series.
Old 12-04-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by FeydAway
While 3 is MUCH better (infinitely? nah) than 2, the OP is right - the last 30-45 minutes are not up to par. What was the original ending?? I'm now dying to know!
Okay, i'll give you that after the boat blows up, the conclusion of Vengeance leaves a lot to be desired.

But you're not getting "infinitely"..

I liked 4, but the problem I had with it was that, once they revealed what our government did to him, I didn't necessarily disagree with Olyphant.
Old 12-05-07, 05:16 AM
Banned by request

That's a problem? I think that's in line with the way the McTiernan Die Hards worked. McTiernan always said that in his Die Hard movies, the Grubers were the protagonists, and John was the antagonist, in that the Grubers were out to achieve something monumental (albeit illegal and murderous) and McClane was in their way (I don't care if you disagree, this is from McTiernan's own comments on the commentary for 3, so take it up with him). I think Gabriel's motivations in 4 are completely in line with that philosophy. Now, if you said you had a problem with the way Olyphant played Gabriel, well, I couldn't argue with that.

As for the ending of 3, the reason I don't prefer the alternate is because it goes against everything we've established about John's character. He's the guy who does what he has to do because he's right there and won't walk away when others are in danger. He doesn't go out seeking revenge after the fact.

Spoiler:
For those who haven't seen the alternate ending to 3, Simon escapes with all the gold after blowing up the tanker. Months later, John tracks Simon down and plays a game of Russian Roulette with a small bazooka. Simon loses. It's really dark and normally I like that, but you can tell that it's a holdover from the original script, called Simon Says, which was not intended to be a Die Hard movie.
Old 12-05-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That's a problem?
Well, yeah. I didn't find myself saying "Man, I hope the Grubers get away with their master plan!" While McClane was a thorn in their sides, I was glad he was in the mix and was rooting for him all the way.

With 4, not so much..

I guess DH4.0 was the only one that successfully accomplished McTiernan's beliefs?
Old 12-06-07, 09:51 AM
Cool New Member

Stated in the review with regards to the LFDH unrated cut.

"Although I have not seen the unrated cut, I have heard that instead of letting Wiseman go back and create a true director's cut, Fox has simply added CGI blood and ADR swearing into the existing version. That, to me, would be even more distracting than the PG-13 version, so perhaps its omission from Blu-ray is a blessing in disguise."

That info is incorrect. There are scenes were it is obvious that B.W. is leting the F bomb fly. also there are scenes that have slightly altered dialogue and other scenes have some dialogue omitted all together. Some of the blood is CGI and some is squibs. This film seems to be a directors R-Rated cut an not just a CGI/ADR CUT.

With that being said there is one scene that is recut that I don't like as much as the PG-13 cut. It's after the Hamster gets chewed up. In the PG-13 shot bruce looks down and says laughingly "On no" The shot is from behind Willis as he is looking down at the mess, this is when you hear him say the line. In the R rated he looks down sees the blood then there is a close up to his face and then he says the line. I found that this was the funniest line in the film but the R rated cut ruined it as it knocked off the timing.

But besides that I do prefer the R-Rated cut

It was nice to hear somebody crap all over Die Hard 2. It is just a bad movie and a really bad Die Hard film. When LFDH first came out and the DH2 supporters were screaming about how much it sucked and the DH2 was soooo much better it made me want to vomit.

I also don't have a lot of love for DH3. It's OK. It's John McClane so therfore watchable but I always hated that he did not have much one on one action with the ba guys. The film is jus him running around NY playing riddle games. It needed more scenes like the one where he is in the elevator surrounded by the three bad guys. Thats one of the best scenes in the entire series.

There is only one Die Hard and it will never be touched. It's just perfect.

Die Hard - 5 Stars

Die Hard 2 - 1.5 Stars

Die Hard with a Vengence - 2.5 Stars

Live Free or Die Hard 4 Stars
Old 12-06-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I liked DH2 and didn't really care much for DH3.

LFDH is a good movie, but not as "realistic" as the previous three...seems more like they had a script already written for an action film and just threw the John McClane character in there and made it a Die Hard pic. Then again, that's what was done for DH3 (the script wasn't originally written as a Die Hard sequel).

I think we all agree DH1 is by far the best of the lot.
Old 12-06-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
seems more like they had a script already written for an action film and just threw the John McClane character in there and made it a Die Hard pic. Then again, that's what was done for DH3 (the script wasn't originally written as a Die Hard sequel).
In fact, it was written as a Lethal Weapon sequel.
Old 12-06-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Die Hard - the best, hands down
Die Harder - a crappy version of Die Hard in an airport
Die Hard with a Vengeance - Better than 2
Live Free or Die Hard - By introducing unbelievable tech, a laughable villain and ridiculous set pieces (the SUV and the jet), they basically just made a predictable and completely forgettable action flick. It's on par with Die Harder.
Old 12-06-07, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
Die Hard - the best, hands down
Die Harder - a crappy version of Die Hard in an airport
Die Hard with a Vengeance - Better than 2
Live Free or Die Hard - By introducing unbelievable tech, a laughable villain and ridiculous set pieces (the SUV and the jet), they basically just made a predictable and completely forgettable action flick. It's on par with Die Harder.
I prefer to describe 'Live Free or Die Hard' as dog caca.
Old 12-06-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually like Die Hard 2 better than Die Hard 3. I have yet to see the fourth. Maybe Christmas night.
Old 12-07-07, 08:14 AM
Cool New Member

I did not think the set pieces were anymore ridiculous then in - Die Hard with a Vengeance (Truck surfing, Trying to get on ship from bridge, Ship blowing up, Car makes jump from 50 foot brige), differance for me was that LFoDH pulled it off better. Sure the Jet scene was unrealistic but it was fun and it looked good. All of the other action was just great IMO.

I see a lot of people are saying that this is just another action flick. I think it's one of the best made in recent years. I don't think there are too many good action films. The Bourne films have been great as well as the last Bond film. But it ends there.
Old 12-07-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigHead
I did not think the set pieces were anymore ridiculous then in - Die Hard with a Vengeance (Truck surfing, Trying to get on ship from bridge, Ship blowing up, Car makes jump from 50 foot brige), differance for me was that LFoDH pulled it off better. Sure the Jet scene was unrealistic but it was fun and it looked good. All of the other action was just great IMO.
Sorry, I disagree. The jet sequence was just a CGI video game cutscene, and they did it better in "True Lies" anyway. And the SUV was so freaking ridiculous from the start that I couldn't believe how they continued to pile it on. I could see the writers discussing it:

Writer 1: "Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow get an John and an SUV into an elevator shaft? And is there any way we could make sure one of the villains is in there too?"

Writer 2: "...that makes absolutely no fucking sense. How would we possibly do that?"

Writer 1: "I dunno, maybe John could fall out of a 4 story window, find an SUV, drive it up to the 4th floor again, and drive it through the wall to rescue the kid."

Writer 2: "How does he keep from hitting the kid if he's driving through a solid wall?"

Writer 1: "He just does. Then he hits the bad girl and plows through the rest of the office into an elevator shaft."

Writer 2: "I thought you wanted the bad girl in the shaft with him. Isn't she dead from being hit by a car and smashed into a brick wall?"

Writer 1: "No, she's fine..."
I think the entire movie was plotted out with conversations just like this.
Old 12-07-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also prefer 2. It's not all good, but has some nice action scenes.
Old 12-07-07, 10:50 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry, I disagree. The jet sequence was just a CGI video game cutscene, and they did it better in "True Lies" anyway. And the SUV was so freaking ridiculous from the start that I couldn't believe how they continued to pile it on. I could see the writers discussing it:

I think the entire movie was plotted out with conversations just like this.

I still think the effects are better then Die Hard with a Vengence. But I can understand the hate for the Jet scene as it is sooo over the top. I don't mind it because it because McClane survives by luck. Had he purposefully jumped on the plane and then jumped off I might have rolled my eyes but because it all was choreographed to luck like dumb luck, I enjoyed it.

I will never understand the hate for the SUV scene. Again LFoDH is NOT Die Hard 1. Nothing will be. But you can rip apart stuff like that in the other 2 sequals AND many other action films. Again I feel this film gets away with it because they make it look good.
Old 12-08-07, 11:19 AM

I rate them as follows:

DH- Best action movie of the 80's. 4 *
DH2 - Lets just say I won't be buying this on bluray 1.5*
DH3 - For some reason I enjoy this almost as much as the first one. I love the villian and who doesn't like a movie filmed in Ny. And of course sam jackson in one of his better roles. 3.5*
DH 4.0 - This one was decent although the villian was a pussy. He had no edge whatsoever except his ibook. The kung-fu psyco had a better look than he did. The whole jet jump thing was just complete umm ya..totally not realistic. Then again neither was that bridge jump in dh3.

I'm still going with my ratings as 1,3,4,2