DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'A Room with a View' (HD DVD)

Old 11-19-07, 10:54 AM

DVD Talk review of 'A Room with a View' (HD DVD)

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of A Room with a View at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31431 and...

did you happen to also see the Blu-Ray version of this movie? Your collegue trashed the transfer rather harshly, and while you gave the HD DVD transfer higher marks, that may just be accounting for personal tastes.
Old 11-19-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Interesting question. No, I haven't seen the Blu-Ray version but yes, I think you're right -- it's a question of personal taste.

As I stated in my review, the quality of 35mm theatrical prints during the mid-1980s was generally so poor I found myself pleasantly surprised by the richness of color and relative lack of graininess in the HD DVD compared with what I remembered from the film's U.S. theatrical release.

Obviously new movies, with their improved film stocks and/or digital video sources and older wide gauge format films (shot in VistaVision, 65mm, etc.) are going to benefit most in HD DVD and Blu-Ray, but for me even A ROOM WITH A VIEW looked vastly superior on HD to what I had seen all those years before in that shoebox-size arthouse.
Old 11-26-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How drastic is the upgrade from the most recent SD DVD? That's what I need to know before buying it.