Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Die Hard: Live Free or Die Hard (Unrated Special Edition)'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-13-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read Aaron Beierle's DVD review of Die Hard: Live Free or Die Hard (Unrated Special Edition) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31357 and regarding this part:
Maybe I'm crazy, but in an age where you go to the theatre and something like "Live Free or Die Hard" is on four screens, why don't studios allow audiences to choose?
The reason studios don't simultaneously release differently rated versions of the same film is because the MPAA doesn't allow it. The MPAA's Classification and Rating Administration (CARA) has a rule that states that only one version of a film can be shown in theaters at one time. A different version can be screened later, after the original version has been out of theaters for a suitable period of time. The rules don't apply to video releases though.

For the applicable rules, check out this PDF (page 9: Article II, Section 4, B-F)
http://www.natoonline.org/CARA%20Rul...20version_.pdf

Last edited by Jay G.; 11-13-07 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the information.
Old 11-18-07, 06:28 AM

What happend to the dts?!
Old 11-20-07, 11:03 AM
DVDEmpire.com

Yeah, I read Robert Zemeckis wanted to do this with Beowulf, releasing a PG cut and an NC-17 cut, but the MPAA wouldn't allow it. Personally, some extra gore and nudity would've made the film much less boring for, although the Grendel fight scene would've been a little too Eastern Promises for my tastes. Still, an NC-17 cut on DVD would totally make it worth my purchase...sorry, so off topic now.