Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Killer of Sheep: The Charles Burnett Collection'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-11-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I read DVD Savant's DVD review of Killer of Sheep: The Charles Burnett Collection at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31337 and...

As with Battleship Potemkin, Glenn reviews another masterpiece of film history giving it nothing but praise in the text of the review and assigning marks of excellence for content, video, and sound and noting the plethera of extras, yet essentially dismissing it in the summary as only "recommended." Since Glenn doesn't have trouble highly recommending other films with content that he regards as less than excellent such as Kill, Baby, Kill, why the tepid endorsement for the excellent, in Glenn's estimation, Killer of Sheep and Battleship Potemkin?

If there's some reason, in Glennís estimation, that these masterpieces don't deserve higher recommendations, I wish Glenn would share it with us.
Old 11-11-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Savant also labeled the reissued The Third Man as only "recomended", though he gave the film itself 4 1/2 stars and 4 stars for each of the other four criteria.

I'm bummed neither DVD Planet nor DD are carrying this title - would have snapped it up during the current sale.
Old 11-11-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, right now it's hard to stomach having to spend $30 on it.
Old 11-12-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There's a second DVDTalk review by David Walker in which he selects this release for the DVD Talk Collectors Series. Link.
Old 11-20-07, 10:55 AM
DVDEmpire.com

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yeah, right now it's hard to stomach having to spend $30 on it.
I can't discern typed sarcasm. Are you being serious? The film alone is worth $30, the transfer is amazing. Not to mention you get all the shorts and My Brother's Wedding, which isn't nearly as good but still worth checking it out. One of the best packages I've seen all year.
Old 11-24-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bergman's Ghost
I can't discern typed sarcasm. Are you being serious? The film alone is worth $30, the transfer is amazing. Not to mention you get all the shorts and My Brother's Wedding, which isn't nearly as good but still worth checking it out. One of the best packages I've seen all year.
What $30 is a lot to spend on a DVD, at least to me it is. Luckily, I got it for $21.99.