DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'El Cantante'

Old 11-09-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DVD Talk review of 'El Cantante'

I read Svet Atanasov's DVD review of El Cantante at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31317 and...

I found one sentence very interesting:

Even better, a larger than life ego and a phenomenal success in the pop biz to top it off...what better excuse for the masses to spare a jab or two at the Latina.
What I find interesting about this line is that it makes note of Lopez's sex and ethnicity in an unexpected context. Imagine we were talking about Madonna (or Lindsay Lohan or whomever) and the line was thus:

Even better, a larger than life ego and a phenomenal success in the pop biz to top it off...what better excuse for the masses to spare a jab or two at the Caucasian woman.
Sounds odd, doesnít it? So Iím wondering is the use of the term Latina meant to insinuate that the masses are jabbing at Lopez based on her sex and ethnicity as well as her ego and success? If so, why not say it directly. If not, then why bring up sex and ethnicity in this particular context?

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 11-09-07 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-09-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
What I find interesting about this line is that it makes note of Lopez's sex and ethnicity in an unexpected context. Imagine we were talking about Madonna (or Lindsay Lohan or whomever) and the line was thus:
Hello Yakuza:

Actually I believe that you deconstruct the paragraph incorrectly. I was very impressed with the final product Lopez managed to deliver. I thought that the film was intentionally built as a collage of chaotic events, some overlapping each other while some sticking out for a reason (if you listen to Ichaso's commentary he actually explains why), as to reveal the enormous drama that took place in the couple's personal life.

On the other hand some of the most vehement criticism I have read, addressing Lopez personally, come precisely from the Latin community. It appears that many saw El Cantante as nothing more than an impotent attempt to reinvigorate a dying career. I do not agree with such a view hence the excuse you quote above.

The ego factor you point above also has plenty to do with the criticism I mentioned earlier (if you have already seen the film then you would know that Puchi/Lopez is as big as Lavoe/Anthony). I believe this has upset plenty of the Latin legend's true fans.

Finally, this is an ethnic film and a good one at that. The notion of Salsa and the manner in which it is explained when Lavoe agrees to a record contract is key (the mixing of the best Latin culture has to offer). In addition, from what I gathered Puchi was the stronger link, not Lavoe and I think the main issue many have with this film is how it showcases that.

To sum it all up I really, really liked El Cantante and feel a bit sad that previously Lopez chose to play roles that notably distanced her from the Latin community (Selena might be the one good exception).

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-09-07 at 03:26 PM.