Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

? Best 'Who' Live DVD out there?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read the reviews but want peoples opinions on which Who Live in concert is their best. I want to get 1 Live performance after owning the 'kids are alright', and the new documentary dvd.
thanks for the input-
Old 11-08-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
There are no great ones, but at least this one: "The Who: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970" has all four members. Most of the other ones are just Roger and Pete. I haven't seen that new documentary, until now Kids Are Alright has been the best Who release IMO.
Old 11-08-07, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too would recommend the Isle of Wight DVD which was remastered a few years back. The sound is 5:1 and is a bit maximized but it isn't horrible. The only problem with the disc is it is a Murray Lerner film and it has an awful lot of song edits in it. But the disc presents the most vital vision of The Who in their prime and it rises to the top despite all the faults. Another good Who DVD if you can find it is Thirty Years of Maximum R&B which features songs from a variety of eras and setting, but more than half the material features the Kenny Jones on drums period. Still it has some interesting moments. I would also recommend the Tommy and Quadrophenia Live discs that came out a few years back. The Tommy is the all-star presentation from 1989 and Quadrophenia features guests as well and uses a running video of actors playing the parts that was projected during the concerts. I was surprised by how strong the band came off in the DVD The Who Live in Boston, which came out in 2004 from the tour they did following the death of John Entwistle. I think Pino Palladino does a good job filling in on bass, but it seems as though the disc producers avoid showing him on screen very much and he is pretty low in the audio mix as well. The sound and video is very good on that one. Also, the new Amazing Journey documentary is very good and the Best Buy exclusive includes a 90-minute concert from Chicago in 1979, shot just 5 days after the tragedy in Cincinnati where 11 fans were trampled to death. The Chicago video is not of the highest quality but it has a few live tracks you don't normally see like "Music Must Change," and "The Punk Meets The Godfather." And I understand there is hope that at least one complete concert from the vintage Who is being worked on for a future release (this was supposed to be a part of the Amazing Journey project but it was axed from what I understand by Universal.)

Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isle of Wight, Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, Woodstock and of course The Kids are Alright. I did get the the new documentary thing this week from Best Buy and I did enjoy the 1st disc but it didnt have anything to go back to for as for performances. I guess I need KM to be there.

Old 11-08-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

definitely Isle of Wright
Old 11-09-07, 04:26 PM
Banned

thanks for all the feedback!
Old 11-09-07, 07:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Forgive me if it was mentioned already, but something new came out this week, with an extra concert DVD exclusive to Best Buy. Don't have the details handy.
Old 11-09-07, 08:16 PM

Being a big fan of The Who and owning all The Who DVDs I would say "The Who & Special Guests Live At The Royal Albert Hall" is by far the best concert DVD of The Who available.The performance and energy of The Who is amazing in this concert.Roger,John and especially Pete are in great form throughout.Listen in DTS,turn it up and your going to be the closest you ever come to being at a Who concert.
Old 11-10-07, 04:40 PM

I guess I will add THE VEGAS JOB to the list, just because it has not been mentioned yet, and although not my first choice, is far from a disappointment if that is the only one you happen to encounter on the shelf.

As for the Isle of Wright DVD, it can be maddening as to the number of cover pressing variations out there. The black cover is the earliest, and original pressing. The new tan covers are the re-mastering, and include a new interview w/ Pete. The cardboard digipack came out first, and was quickly replaced with a clamshell. There are two variations of the clamshell, the 2nd pressing of which mentions the inclusion of two bonus songs not in the original ML cut of the footage. None of the other repressings mention the extra songs, and I am not sure if all of the repressings actually include them. (They may, I just only one one of them, so I can't say.)

Even the very recent "Who's Better, Who's best." comp contains mostly live footage, and a lot of KM, so unless you desire one show, that is also an option. Sadly, if you want one COMPLETE live WHO DVD, you have to look over to those grey market imports...(I suggest starting with IOW 69. Yes, I said 1969. Possibly the first Tommy performance. Just a suggestion.)