Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Do I just have a really bad taste in movies?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Do I just have a really bad taste in movies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 02:03 AM
DVDTalk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course your taste will evolve, but I say go with your gut and seek out films that seek you out, if you know what I mean. If you watch one flick and like the director or actor, check out their others. If you like one DP or special effects guy/gal, go get some more. Then try to read more about those filmmakers, but also read more about film, art, history, etc., because that will open you up to other concepts and filmmakers. Also try to challenge yourself more and see those classics or foreign flicks, and try to understand the context in which they came out, and why they had the impact they had when they came out. I find a lot about film and art is context, and while things should hit you viscerally, there's plenty of stuff that I dismissed that I went back to only after I knew where it was coming from in the first place.

You'd be suprised how many films, and albums for that matter that I couldn't get into, but just "clicked" when I didn't expect it. Bowie's Lodger was like that for me.

KEEP WATCHING MOVIES TILL YOUR BRAINS HURT AND YOU LOSE ALL YOUR FRIENDS! hehe

Old 11-07-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GenPion
EDIT - Oh, and I was mostly wondering if it was weird that I started watching those films when I was 11 or 12. In a couple years, I assume people in their early 20's will be watching the same/similar things... if they aren't already. Not that this is bad. I want more movie-going buddies.
GenPion, when I was 13, (a long time ago, the earth had just recently cooled ), our local PBS station had a months-long marathon of Ingmar Bergman films, playing one per week on Wednesdays at 10pm. At this point I can't remember if I had ever heard of Bergman, but the promos that they ran were so intriguing (Death playing chess? WTF?), I started watching on my 13" b&w set and was hooked for life (so far) on movies (of just about every variety), not just as time fillers, but things to be savored, considered, reflected upon, and enriched by. Whether that's weird or not, I can't say, but you're certainly not alone