Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Bourne Identity' (HD DVD)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I read Joshua Zyber's DVD review of The Bourne Identity at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29446 and...

So if I read this correctly it is the theatrical cut and not the second dvd version that featured the alternate opening and closing?
Old 08-06-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
I read Joshua Zyber's DVD review of The Bourne Identity at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29446 and...

So if I read this correctly it is the theatrical cut and not the second dvd version that featured the alternate opening and closing?
Even though the DVD re-release was misleading titled the "Explosive Extended Edition", the movie itself did not actually incorporate any new footage. The alternate opening and closing were presented as deleted scenes only.
Old 08-06-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
If I remember correctly an icon popped up in the bottom right off the screen and if you selected it the alternate scene was shown, but when it was over it would skip past the theatrical cut of the scene to the next.
Old 08-06-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Even though the DVD re-release was misleading titled the "Explosive Extended Edition", the movie itself did not actually incorporate any new footage. The alternate opening and closing were presented as deleted scenes only.
Are you sure? I saw a copy where it was encorporated in. Granted this was a digital file, so perhaps somebody went back in and "edited it in", but it has music with the scenes as well...felt like it was a directors cut to me.

Personally, I hope it's the theatrical since I didn't like the new beginning. Plus that wouldn't make the ending of the third so great.

Also, I never watched the alternate ending - how'd that pan out? I assume something to do with him waking up in the market (if I remember correctly the beginning that is...).
Old 08-07-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Personally, I hope it's the theatrical since I didn't like the new beginning. Plus that wouldn't make the ending of the third so great.

Also, I never watched the alternate ending - how'd that pan out? I assume something to do with him waking up in the market (if I remember correctly the beginning that is...).
Both the alternate opening and closing pretty much sucked.
Old 08-07-07, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll second the "suck" rating and raise it to a "comes close to be offensive". Paraphrasing, the closing pretty much states, "Sure we've trained you to be perfect amoral killing machine, but doesn't America need just a few of those right now?"

Not only does it betray the central premise of the film (Bourne's conflicted nature regarding his abilities and past), but it's almost as if the filmmakers are giving tacit approval to the most cold and cruel methods imaginable so long as they're only used in a "time of crisis".

For once, I'm thankful for test screening since strong positive feedback from test audiences convinced everyone involved they didn't need the bookends.