Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Eureka - Season One'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 02:45 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Eureka - Season One at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29285 and...I found the plots somewhat more elliptical than given credit for. After seeing the first episode of the second season, I felt like I needed to see the first season again to catch all the plot points. Slight plot elements become major ones in future episodes, so it's hard on an initial viewing to see what's important or not. EUREKA may not appeal to everyone but if you've got a fannish streak in you, you've already discovered this series ... or you definitely should. It's a great ride ... and it's still rolling on.
Old 07-23-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I was looking forward to this show but thought the pilot episode was nearly unwatchable and didn't bother following after that.
Old 07-24-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a preview for this on the Law & Order-The Fifth Year, if I remember correct & it looked kind of intresting but not being a fan of most of the Sci-Fi original series I am very shaky about going into this show. I'll give it a shot on DVD soon.
Old 07-24-07, 03:27 PM
Defunct Account

Good call Josh. The pilot was by far the best episode.
Old 07-24-07, 05:25 PM

Having read the DVD review of Eureka, S1, I can't say I summarily dismiss it, but I think that it was a little short on the better parts of the show. The chemistry amoungst the cast is a major attraction of the episodes and far from bland, Sheriff Carter is a snarky, hold-his-own kinda guy who is the ultimate fish out of water amid the genuises but never lets it stop him. He keeps picking himself up, dusting off and rushing back in. He's over his head but treading water just fine, giving us the view of "joe-average-guy" that we need in order to relate. The scenes between Colin Ferfuson(Carter) and Ed Quinn(Nathan Stark) are enough to keep you coming back for more.

The science may at times be circumspect, but it still holds for the show they are presenting. Henry as the town mechanic becomes more interesting with every show and the cast of "secondary" characters provide enough humour to float the show by themselves. I found Zoe to be the weak link in characters at the onset, but the actress has grown into the role and made it interesting - tough for any high schooler but try going to classes where the GPA is 4.5!

Don't miss this one - it's worth the price of the ticket!

Last edited by dark_blue; 07-24-07 at 05:29 PM.