Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Von Ryan's Express - good blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been considering picking up the new fox cinema classics collection 2 - disc set - never seen the movie, so how is it? And how are the extras on the second disc? Thank you in advance!
Old 07-14-07, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have the DVD, so I can't address the extras. But I've seen this film several times, and it's a lot of fun. It's kind of a cross between POW-escape movies (duh!) like The Great Escape and all those WWII action thrillers of the 1960s like Where Eagles Dare and The Guns of Navarone. So if you like those kinds of movies, then you'll probably like this one, too. Also, just take a look at the cast. Do you like other movies with Frank Sinatra and Trevor Howard from that period?

In many ways, however, this doesn't strike me as the kind of movie that needs/deserves a two-disc treatment. In fact, I'd say that this is the kind of movie I prefer just happening upon while it's on TV, so I doubt I'll ever buy it. It's enjoyable fluff -- nothing more.