Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Rat Patrol - The Complete Second Season'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of The Rat Patrol - The Complete Second Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29013 and...

... I have to disagree with his charactization of Hans Gudegast's character as "a cold, calculating Afrika Korps C.O." He portrayed Dietrich as more of a noble foe unhappy with his government but doing his duty for his country. I remember that in one episode, he was ordered to pin yellow stars of David on the Jews in the area he held. I vaguely remember his disgust at the order, that he'd hoped they could keep that sort of thing out of the Afrika Korps. I can still picture his stoic unhappiness pinning a star on a little girl.

My and my older sister were a couple of young girls who found the show appealing. The actors were "cute" (though mostly characterized by their hats), and they got into the types of danger that could set a young girl's heart thumping with the desire to make it all better--wounded, captured, tortured with rescue always dependent on a race against time. But it was Hans Gudegast's *complex* portrayal of Lt. Dietrich that I remember some 40 years later.