Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Mel Gibson's Apocalypto' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Mel Gibson's Apocalypto' (Blu-ray)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blindzero
I think it's silly to attack the entire site over one or two reviews (even 10-20 would still be a very small fraction). This site remains one of the most comprehensive sites out there and it educates me on plenty of titles I wouldn't have otherwise heard about. I use it to order titles for a local rental store to help get the good titles seen.

I'll stand by my thinking this review didn't at all warrant giving the 0 and was just asking for controversy with a first line like that baiting the reader...but I don't want my dissenting view to be clumped into everyone bashing the entire site...
Thanks for your post. I totally respect well expressed opinions. I don't expect everyone to love every review on the site, nor agree with our reviewers, but it's nice when people have a baseline of respect for the site and writers who work hard at an often thankless job.
Old 06-12-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I respect this site...love it, come here everyday.

I don't respect reviews that start out with a (presumably fake) story labeling Kevin Costner as a pothead.

= J
Old 06-13-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly, there's a difference between respecting the overall site and the individual reviews. I wasn't trying to put down the entire site or anything, but if in my opinion the quality of the reviews have went downhill, I'm going to say so. I'm obviously not talking about all of the reviews or reviewers, as I still really enjoy some of them.
Old 06-20-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow next time try reviewing the movie, not the director. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 06-21-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by hdtv00
Wow next time try reviewing the movie, not the director.
Was the movie not made by the director? Are we suddenly living in a bizarro world where a movie called "Mel Gibson's Apocalypto" can't be discussed in the context of, you know, the guy who's name is in the frikkin' title?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on "Osama Bin Laden's Birth of a Nation".

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-21-07 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-21-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Was the movie not made by the director? Are we suddenly living in a bizarro world where a movie called "Mel Gibson's Apocalypto" can't be discussed in the context of, you know, the guy who's name is in the frikkin' title?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on "Osama Bin Laden's Birth of a Nation".
Oh come on though, his name isn't really in the title. They just did that as a marketing ploy after the success of Passion.

After his little incident with the police, you didnt see that as much if any in the commercials.

And i completely agree with the previous poster who said we shouldn't be attacking the site for 1 or 2 reviews. I don't agree with the zero stars, but it doesn't paint all of dvdtalk red in my view.
Old 06-21-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
I don't respect reviews that start out with a (presumably fake) story labeling Kevin Costner as a pothead.
While I can't speak as to that specific story, but I've been over to Costner's house a few time (we have mutual friends), and I have no reason not to believe it - the dude loves his pot.

But yeah, I don't think that story belonged in a review for Apocalypto.
Old 06-21-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
But yeah, I don't think that story belonged in a review for Apocalypto.
It was in a review of Mr. Brooks. That review was brought up in this thread as another example of something a reader found objectionable.
Old 06-21-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Ah, then a case can be made for either view...
Old 12-30-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I just found this thread through the AvPr link and I just saw Apocalypto on HD. I agree its impossible to seperate Mel Gibson from this movie..Mel has always had a martyr thing going, it became pronounced after Braveheart, hit the core at Passion.

This movie is real disturbing to me regarding the Mayan civilization. Sure the small tribes are portrayed OK, but the level of savagery by the Mayans is ridicoulous.

Then you take Mel's use of gore as a way of highlighting the "martry sacrifice) and the pervert it to show that the Mayans were a bunch of fucking idiots because they were sacrificing to the wrong God...then the final shot of the Conquistadores who are brining the true religion to the Mayans (and it seems like the smaller bands of people like JaguarPaw who seemingly reject Christ continue to live in their primitive ways..)..this movie is a mess.