DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Is Silent Hill worth a $9.99 blind buy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/487685-silent-hill-worth-%249-99-blind-buy.html)

chaz k 12-26-06 09:20 AM

Is Silent Hill worth a $9.99 blind buy?

On sale at BB and CC for $9.99 im thinking about it....suggestions?

TGM 12-26-06 09:39 AM

No. It is not, IMO. I thought it was a pretty bad movie... see if you can pick it up used someplace for 3-4 bucks if you like the genre or the video game it was based on... but 10 bucks is just too much for this flick.

harpo787 12-26-06 09:57 AM

I think I agree with TallGuyMe. I saw it in the theater, and while there are certain things about it (maybe effects or some such) overall it was a letdown.

I'll probably pick it up on the next price drop.

Daytripper 12-26-06 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
No. It is not, IMO. I thought it was a pretty bad movie... see if you can pick it up used someplace for 3-4 bucks if you like the genre or the video game it was based on... but 10 bucks is just too much for this flick.

I couldn't find this for less than $20.00 anywhere just three weeks ago. How long has this been on sale at BB and CC?

And for what it's worth, this was a gift for someone at their request.

Also, it's not a terrible movie. Not great. But no where near as bad as, say, "An American Haunting".

d2cheer 12-26-06 10:04 AM

Yes I feel that it is, great flick IMHO...

Squirrel God 12-26-06 10:18 AM

Don't do it. It's awful!

zombiezilla 12-26-06 11:22 AM

Hated it. Loved a couple of the games, though.

Sabrett 12-26-06 12:11 PM

Saw it in the theater, and would pick it up, but probably not for $9.99. These days, too many things drop to $5.99, $4.99 and even lower. I'm sure that's one that'll get down there eventually...especially around Halloween time. I would wait, but pick it up for anything $7.50 and under.

Joe Molotov 12-26-06 12:52 PM

I liked it.

scottp120 12-26-06 01:39 PM

I'm a fan of the games and I think the movie was pretty decent.

dadaluholla 12-26-06 01:53 PM

I thought it was ok. I'd suggest using your 9.99 to join Columbia House and get it from them, along with 6 other movies.

Ethan VanSciver 12-26-06 02:36 PM

Very, very, very stupid movie, only of interest apparently to those who have the warm fuzzies about the video game. You will laugh, and then you will be angry.

mifuneral 12-26-06 07:56 PM

Silent Hill is a pretty decent movie. It's worth 9.99 and I'm also thinking about finally picking it up. And no I don't have "the warm fuzzies" about the videogame(s). I've never even played them.

TomOpus 12-26-06 08:18 PM

I never played the video games either and I liked the flick.

The Cow 12-26-06 08:27 PM

I didn't care for it. You may like it, but based on the mixed reviews in this thread, I would say, no, not a blind buy.

chaz k 12-26-06 09:24 PM

Ok i bit the bullet and bought it. And i must say i really, really enjoyed it. I never played the video game so i had no idea what to expect. I thought it dragged on a little too long but overall i really liked it.

Sabrett 12-26-06 09:58 PM

I ended up buying it also, but only because I found one with the exclusive comic book at CC

TGM 12-27-06 04:00 AM

Which goes to prove that these type of "should I buy this?" threads are totally pointless... and that if someone took the time to initiate a thread like this, then they are 99% likely to just go buy the thing in the 1st place... :)

Ethan VanSciver 12-27-06 08:27 AM

Curiosity kills the cat every time. I'm glad you liked it though, chaz k. As soon as the little girl in the beginning started to cry, "Silent Hill! Silent Hill!", I started to laugh, and it set the tone for the rest of the movie. It didn't make any sense whatsoever and was badly scripted.

The best horror movies of last year were SLITHER and THE HILLS HAVE EYES. If you missed either of them, I'd recommend them a million times over before something like Silent Hill.

chaz k 12-27-06 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Curiosity kills the cat every time. I'm glad you liked it though, chaz k. As soon as the little girl in the beginning started to cry, "Silent Hill! Silent Hill!", I started to laugh, and it set the tone for the rest of the movie. It didn't make any sense whatsoever and was badly scripted.

The best horror movies of last year were SLITHER and THE HILLS HAVE EYES. If you missed either of them, I'd recommend them a million times over before something like Silent Hill.

Thanks for the recommendations.....i never saw slither, i own hills and enjoyed it alot. I dont know if its considered a horror movie but my favorite "scary" movie from last year was The Descent.

tofferman 12-27-06 10:30 AM

Do give Feast a spin as well. :thumbsup:

Goldblum 12-27-06 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Which goes to prove that these type of "should I buy this?" threads are totally pointless... and that if someone took the time to initiate a thread like this, then they are 99% likely to just go buy the thing in the 1st place... :)

:up:

mifuneral 12-27-06 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think it was *supposed* to be well scripted. I too thought parts of it were campy but I thought that was an homage to the games.

Josh Z 12-27-06 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by mifuneral
Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think it was *supposed* to be well scripted.

Hollywood makes enough movies that are unintentionally bad. The last thing anyone needs is for them to intentionally write bad scripts.

Ethan VanSciver 12-27-06 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Hollywood makes enough movies that are unintentionally bad. The last thing anyone needs is for them to intentionally write bad scripts.

That's a good excuse though. "I meant it to suck." But in this case, it's as though a big fan of the game wrote the screenplay, and didn't bother to try to ground it in any kind of reality whatsoever. And even with dreamlike horror stories, I need to attach myself to SOMETHING in the movie. A character, a location, what-have-you, to make it an experience I can believe in. David Lynch does this very well. SILENT HILL however was written by retards to be acted out by retards, and that's saying nothing at all for actually mentally retarded people. I honestly can't imagine why ANYONE would say that they liked this movie. Maybe if they'd never seen any movies before, and were interested in how millions of still images go together to create the illusion of motion. Other than that, I don't get it.

To each their own though. That's why I love DVDtalk.